Amoi N820 Big V Review and first impressions

The Amoi N820 Big V is one of the first sub 1000 Yuan dual-core Android phones to launch in China with the superb MTK MT6577 dual-core CPU, but just how good are these low cost machines? Keep reading to find out.

Amoi have joined the leagues of other local Chinese phone makers who are either in the process or planning stages of launching a low cost dual-core machine.

Beidou have the little pepper, JiaYu will offer both the G2 and G3, Zopo are launching low cost dual-core offerings and of course Amoi have a few options too.

What all these phones offer are the same dual-core MTK MT6577 cpu, large display and sub 1000 Yuan ($157) price tag.

Amoi N820 First Impression

amoi n820 big v hands on review

Gizchina News of the week

The Amoi N820 arrives in a large black box with simple branding with a few included accessories. As you would expect a charger, USB cable and a pair of headphones, all in black, come with the N820 and while not the best looking options are all workable and do their job well.

amoi n820 hands on reviewThe Amoi N820 handset itself features a nice black design with simple white logo which is quite an understated yet classy design to the back panel.

The front is even more understated and only features a front facing camera and the standard Android key below the screen.

amoi n820 big vhands on reviewAs you can see from the pictures the overall design and build quality are fine especially for this price range and for the rather good specification.

Previous Xiaomi planning to launch the Xiaomi M2 in Europe
Next Both versions of the Bluebo L100 Have sold out Pre orders!

16 Comments

1. Fel
    August 19, 2012

hi does it run google play and gorilla glass? couldn t find the latest updates on it. U really wonder if the G3 ever surfaces and its already outdated and lost a good bit of its appeal

2. Smileyguy
    August 19, 2012

Is this phone available in China already? Where can I get this in China? Thanks in advance for your answers.

3. partha pratim dutta
    August 19, 2012

chinese have done wonders for even the poor people of the world. their business encompasses all sections of the socoety on the world. hats of to them.

4. Dexter
    August 21, 2012

Hey, I recently founf this site and all these cheap awesome phones. But, i have 1 question: if you buy a chinese phone like this, will you need an adapter to charge it some where else than china? I dont know how they look there or if they are just like the ones in Sweden? Thanks.

• August 21, 2012

They come with a 2 pin plug usually.

5. chibuy
    August 23, 2012

Hi Andy, i gvive up on jiayu g3 so im gonna get this n820 but i cant find any complete review, this phone has google market preinstalled or not?
    Thanx

6. mike
    August 23, 2012

Thanks for the review but what do you mean by the glass is too thick?

• August 24, 2012

It isn’t like touching the actually apps and controlling the screen. The glass just sort of feels like its in the way. Strange to explain, and it doesnt bother everyone.

7. pandajaune
    August 24, 2012

hi,
    thanks for the review.
    do you think amoi will update the phone to correct the red x bug?
    also it is weird not to find the n820 on the official website.

• August 25, 2012

I hope so as it really is annoying!

8. Darren
    September 24, 2012

Excellent website, really useful info on here.

I’m from the UK and decided to take a punt on this phone. I’ve ordered the device through Etotalk and will update readers further when I receive the device

9. Steve
    October 15, 2012

hi Andi,
    Still have the N820? I am really trying to get it from some online shops but cant get a reliable one so far. any suggestions? where did you get your review unit? and you havent written any updates about stock or availability since the review, how come?

• October 15, 2012

Sorry I don’t have one. They should be in stores soon though I’ll keep you updated

10. October 24, 2012

Anyone who is interested in the N820, check out suppliers on aliexpress.com
    They retail for ~$200 USD.
    Of course, buy at your own risk – check the feedback of the suppliers.
    I bought mine from UGoodBuy Android Store on aliexpress.com , and they delivered appropriately – but once again, at your own risk.

As with questions about Google Play, mine did NOT come with it. It came instead, with 360 Store (I hazard a guess, that’s the software company). It’s really similar to Google Play, but I ended up unhappy, and rooted the phone to Build 6.0 c.f. Build 5.8, and this allowed me to install Google Play.
    Anyone who is interested about N820, refer to the forums. There is a section there, and also more instructions on rooting and Google Play, etc.

11. K V P
    October 27, 2012

Is this Amoi N820/821 has notification led for missed call or when charging? Some site says, but some doesn’t. Can anybody using this phone confirm?

Thanks

12. Joost
    November 2, 2012

Hi, I am thinking of buying the N820. I would also like to use this phone for navigation purposes in my car. Would you recommend this phone for navigation purposes as well? I read some posts on other forums that the N820 GPS is not working. Would you recommend another Chinese phone with a more accurate GPS?