While it is billed to arrive the US later in June, Sony mobile earlier today launched the Xperia 1 at an event in China as it had promised. The arrival of the Xperia 1 marked the end of Sony’s XZ series and this device boasts of a super tall cinematic 21:9 4K HDR OLED display, which Sony claims is a first for a mobile device. The display is laced with flagship-tier specifications, and it is Sony‘s hope that this would to an extent help its mobile business.
The Cinematic display lets you watch most films on Netflix are in a 21:9 aspect ratio, Sony’s own store and Amazon Prime Video without the need for any letterboxing, and where the format isn’t supported, Sony says you’ll still be able to watch it with black bars down the sides of the display. Besides that, the Japanese firm claims the aspect ratio enhances gaming as well as offering a better format for viewing photos you’ve taken with the phone’s cameras.
As for internals, the Xperia 1 gets the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 mobile platform with 6GB RAM, triple 12-megapixel rear cameras consisting of a 16mm super wide-angle lens, 26mm normal lens with a dual photodiode image sensor and RAW noise reduction and a 52mm lens for portrait and 2x optical zoom, and stereo speakers. You can read the Xperia 1 detailed specs and features here.
Speaking of the Xperia 1 launch in China, Sony is asking for only 6,299 Yuan/ $910 and will go on pre-sale beginning from May 21 in Fog Gray, Night Black, Snow White, and Xia Zi (Purple) color options.
Sony Xperia 1 specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, TRILUMINOS Display for mobile, X-Reality for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB RAM, 128GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 512GB via microSD card
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Single / Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/2.6″ sensor, f/1.6 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 1.4μm pixel size, Predictive capture, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 135° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 45° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 2x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speaker, DSEE HX, LDAC, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 167 x 72 x 8.2mm
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3300mAh Battery with Qnovo Adaptive Charging technology, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, Qi Wireless charging