Samsung has come back strongly to the fore in the folding smartphone segment with its new Galaxy Z Flip. The company is also trying not to repeat the mistakes made with Galaxy Fold last year. making its device the toughest folding phone in the world.
This was obviously reflected in the implementation of the folding display, using more resistant materials and at the same time suitable for frequent folding. The Galaxy Z Flip can rely on the resistance given by the ultra-thin glass, certainly more robust than the polyamide used for the Galaxy Fold. But according to what has just been revealed by SamMobile, it is not only this that contributes to its resistance. Samsung would have also implemented an additional layer under the display with the exclusive purpose of absorbing shocks.
As you can see from the illustration in the photo above, the Galaxy Z Flip has a layer capable of absorbing shocks immediately under the ultra-thin glass. Samsung has also implemented a thin layer of protective plastic. The glass layer and the shock absorption layer are, apparently, the only differences in the realization of the Z Flip display compared to last year’s Fold.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip folding phone specifications
- Display: 6.7-inch FULL HD+ (2636 x 1080 pixels) 21.5:9 Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display, external/cover 1.1-inch (300 x 112 pixels) Super AMOLED display
- SoC: Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.95 GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.41GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.78GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- RAM/ROM: 8GB RAM with 256GB storage
- SIM: One eSIM and one Nano SIM
- Rear camera: 12MP (primary wide-angle) Super Speed dual pixel f/1.8 1.4μm Pixel Size + 12MP (ultra-wide) f/2.2 1.22μm Pixel Size; LED flash, HDR10+, OIS, Up to 8x digital zoom; Video: Up to 4K 60fps
- Front camera: 10MP f/2.4
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor (digital, analog), Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor, and Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou; Enhanced 2X2 MIMO, 5CA, LTE Cat.16 Up to 1.0Gbps Download, LTE Cat.13 Up to 150Mbps Upload, Up to 1.0Gbps Download / Up to 150Mbps Upload
- SIM: Nano-SIM + eSIM
- Security: Samsung Knox, secure folder, facial recognition
- Dimensions: Folded: 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3 mm (Hinge) – 15.4mm (Sagging), Unfolded: 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2 mm – 6.9mm (Screen); Weight: 183 grams
- Battery: 3300mAh battery with 15w fast charging, 9w Qi wireless charging
- Colors: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, and Mirror Gold