Several months after a presentation in China, Huawei is launching the Mate Xs foldable smartphone internationally. It incorporates a futuristic design, 5G and refreshed characteristics of the Mate X announced a year ago.
The history of foldable smartphones is a bit complex at Huawei. The Chinese manufacturer was one of the first to unveil a competitor for the Samsung Galaxy Fold with the Mate X a year ago. The smartphone has never been marketed outside China, and has been delayed several times. Finally, Huawei takes advantage of this MWC 2020, or what remains of it, to unveil the Mate XS. A new version of its foldable smartphone that finally seems ready for marketing.
HUAWEI MATE XS WITH IMPRESSIVE DESIGN
The Huawei Mate Xs has the same very impressive design of the Huawei Mate X. It is, therefore, a foldable smartphone, which offers a single screen that can be folded to use the device as a smartphone, or unfold to use it as a tablet. The unfolded screen has a total diagonal of 8 inches, which becomes a 6.38 or 6.6-inch screen depending on the side used when it is folded.
Huawei announces that the Mate XS uses an alloy based on Zirconium which is said to be 30% harder than titanium. The fragility of foldable smartphones remains one of their major flaws so far, and we will wait for the smartphone tests to find out more.
Gizchina News of the week
The Huawei Mate XS is not just a foldable screen, it has the characteristics of a flagship of 2020. It now incorporates Huawei’s SoC Kirin 990 5G. To learn more, we invite you to discover the test of the Mate 30 Pro already equipped with this chip. Here is the list of the smartphone specifications.
- 6.6-inch (2480 x 1148 pixels) 19.5:9 OLED display when folded, 6.38-inch (2480 x 892 pixels) OLED 25:9 display for back panel, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display when unfolded
- Kirin 990 5G (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76MP16 GPU, Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs(Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 10.0.1, HMS
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 40MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, 30x ditial zoom, OIS, Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 78.5 (146.2 unfolded) x 5.4-11mm; Weight: 300g
- 5G Multi-mode,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500mAh (2250mAh x 2 ) battery with 55W SuperCharge
The American ban forces this new smartphone from Huawei once again to get released without Google services. The Mate XS runs on Android 10 with EMUI 10, but to download applications you will have to go through the brand’s App Gallery. The brand has also announced optimizations to better manage the transition from smartphone mode to tablet mode and applications in expanded format.
— Huawei Mobile (@HuaweiMobile) February 24, 2020
AVAILABILITY AND PRICE
The Huawei Mate XS will be available from March, without specifying the regions concerned. Its launch price is 2499 euros ($2700) for 512GB of storage and 8GB of RAM.