Chinese manufacturing giant, Huawei, has two foldable phones, Huawei Mate X and Huawei mate Xs. These smartphones are expensive and fragile. After the Huawei P40 Series launch event in China, Huawei’s consumer business CEO, Yu Chengdong, talked about Huawei’s high-end smartphone business. According to him, the prices of flagships are high because the cost of production is also high. For example, the cost of a single camera sensor on the P40 series is over $100. Samsung and Apple do not use these expensive parts but are still comparatively more expensive than Huawei’s. According to him, the company even takes losses just to sell some smartphones.
Yu Chengdong said that since the release of the Huawei Mate Xs in February this year, it has lost between $60 – $70 million. According to him, even if the Mate Xs sells for 16,999 yuan ($2407), it is still a loss for Huawei. If the cost of the flexible display drops, then it is possible to make some profit.
Gizchina News of the week
HUAWEI Mate Xs specifications
- 6.6-inch (2480 x 1148 pixels) 19.5:9 OLED display when folded, 6.38-inch (2480 x 892 pixels) OLED 25:9 display for back panel, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display when unfolded
- HUAWEI Kirin 990 5G (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76MP16 GPU, Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs(Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 10.0.1, HMS
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 40MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, 30x ditial zoom, OIS, HUAWEI Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 78.5 (146.2 unfolded) x 5.4-11mm; Weight: 300g
- 5G Multi-mode,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500mAh (2250mAh x 2 ) battery with 55W SuperCharge