120 Hz display mode is the major new feature in 2020 smartphones. The Samsung Galaxy S20 series has such a display installed, but you can only enjoy the high refresh rate with FullHD +.
But how much does the twice as high refresh rate affect the smartphone’s battery compared to the normal 60 Hz? Phonebuff tried it out on the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.
For this purpose, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra was sent twice through the exact test course, once with 60 Hz and then once with 120 Hz. And in the end, the result comes, which is a little surprising.
Galaxy S20 Ultra: This is how much the 120 Hz mode affect the battery life
It is clear to everyone that the display consumes more battery with a 120 Hz rate. With the screen-on-time, you get 10:24 hours at 60 Hz and 9:35 hours at 120 Hz. At the end of the test, the difference is 14 percent of the battery has left on the device that has 60 Hz while the 120 Hz device turns off.
In the end, it means that under full load at 120 Hz you have almost 1 hour less screen-on-time compared to 60 Hz, which is not the big difference that we expected.
Gizchina News of the week
SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 ULTRA SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.9-inch Quad HD+ (3200 × 1440 pixels) Dynamic AMOLED 2X
Infinity-O Display, HDR10+, 511 PPI, 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform. With Adreno 650 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB storage (UFS 3.0) / 16GB LPDDR5 RAM with 512GB storage (UFS 3.0), expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10 with OneUI 2.0
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 108MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS. 48MP Telephoto lens with 24° FoV, f/3.5 aperture, PDAF, OIS, Hybrid Optic Zoom 10X, Super Resolution Zoom up to 100X. 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, Depth Vision camera
- 40MP front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens, f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint Sensor
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
- Dimensions: 166.9 x 76.0 x 8.8mm; Weight: 220g (222g for 5G)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 5000mAh battery with 45W fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare