The OnePlus 8T Concept has a film under the rear glass that can change color. The film contains a metal oxide and can change its color depending on the applied voltage due to a change in the valence state of the metal ions. The color can smoothly change from silver to dark blue and back. The pattern on the back mimics the shape of the Pamukkale hot spring terraces in Turkey.
Another difference between this phone and the standard OnePlus 8T is that it arrives with a millimeter-wave (mmWave) radar system that can transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. This allows the radar system to sense, display, locate and track objects with millimeter precision in all lighting conditions.
The OnePlus 8T is an amazing overall smartphone, but we’re always exploring cool new technologies—not necessarily to bring to market, but just to see what else is possible. Check out our latest experiment: the Concept 8T. pic.twitter.com/jmJMVcyBMT
— Pete Lau (@PeteLau) December 21, 2020
OnePlus says the color-changing rear panel can be used as a notification system. The mmWave radar built under the rear camera system can be in use to detect hand gestures. You can, for example, accept or reject calls by swiping your hand over the device. OnePlus has also created a breath monitoring app that uses mmWave radar to track your chest movements and can calculate your breathing rate.
Gizchina News of the week
The OnePlus 8T Concept smartphone was created by the OnePlus Gaudi team, which showed off the OnePlus Concept One earlier this year. This smartphone is not intended for sale, it only shows what the company is working on.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the OnePlus 8T smartphones.
OnePlus 8T specifications
- 6.55-inch (1080 x 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 402 ppi 20:9 Fluid AMOLED display with 120Hz refresh rate, HDR 10+, 1100 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 2.84GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 12GB LPDDR4X RAM with 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 11 with OxygenOS 11
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 48MP rear camera with Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, OIS + EIS Hybrid stabilization, 16MP 116° ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, Sony IMX481 sensor, 5MP 3cm macro camera, 2MP depth sensor, 4K video at 60fps, 720p slow motion at 480fps, 1080p slow motion at 240fps
- 16MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX471 sensor, f/2.45 aperture, EIS
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 160.7×74.1×8.4mm; Weight: 188g
- USB Type-C audio, Dual Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax 2X2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1+L5 Dual Band) + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with Warp Charge 65 Fast Charging (10V/6.5A)