As soon as Xiaomi unveiled the global version of its flagship smartphone Xiaomi Mi 11 this week, it has already fallen into the hands of Zach Nilsson, who hosts a YouTube channel called JerryRigEverything.
The standard set of tests began with a scratch test. Gorilla Glass Victus scratches at 6 on the Mohs scale. The sides of the phone are made of metal, not plastic. The back panel is made of glass, which scratches with the same level of effort, although the back is Gorilla Glass 5 and not Gorilla Glass Victus.
The 6.81-inch OLED display of the Xiaomi Mi 11 is instantly responsive to touch with a 480Hz touch layer sampling rate, while the screen supports a 120Hz refresh rate. The display withstood a 20-second heating with a lighter, after which a white spot appeared on the screen and remained forever.
The smartphone also did not disappoint in the flex test. Although it emits a slight creak when bent, the phone hasn’t cracked or warped.
Gizchina News of the week
Xiaomi Mi 11 specifications
- 6.81-inch (3200×1440 pixels) Quad HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display with 120Hz refresh rate, 1500nit (HBM) / 900nit (Typ) brightness, 5000000:1 (Min) contrast ratio, MEMC, 100% DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 3200MHz RAM with 128GB; 256GB UFS 3.1 storage; 12GB 3200MHz LPPDDR5 RAM with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12 based on Android 11
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.85 aperture, OIS, LED flash; 13MP 123° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.4 aperture; 5MP telemacro camera with f/2.4 aperture, 8k at 30fps, 4k 60fps, 960fps at 720p
- 20MP front-facing camera with 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- In-screen fingerprint sensor with heart rate monitoring, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Dual speakers, SOUND BY Harman Kardon
- Dimensions: 164.3x 74.6 x 8.06mm (glass)/8.56mm (leather); Weight: 196g (glass) / 194g (leather)
- 5G SA/NSA Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax 8 x; MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1 + L5), NFC, USB Type-C
- 4600mAh battery with 55W wired QC4+ / QC3+ / PD3.0, 50W wireless fast charging, 10w wireless reverse charging
Xiaomi is the third smartphone brand globally
Xiaomi was the first company to unleash a flagship with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 chipset. The brand revealed the Mi 11 in December alongside MIUI 12.5. Recently, the company has officially announced the new flagship for global markets, alongside the respective version of MIUI made for the global audience. Besides the new software skin and flagship, the company used the opportunity to reveal details about its progress. Despite the ongoing pandemic that ravaged the market last year, the brand managed to become the third-largest smartphone brand in the world.
According to the brand’s report, it is the first smartphone brand in ten markets, which includes India as one of the most notable ones. Moreover, it achieved at least the third position in 36 markets. The Chinese giant also is the fastest-growing brand in the high-end segment with an impressive 3,639% growth year on year in Q3 2020. This includes devices that cost more than $500.