Huawei hopes to hold talks with the administration of US President Joe Biden over the current trade ban. The company wants to negotiate separately from Beijing to lift the ban on the supply of American components.
According to NikkeiAsia, the reason for the negotiations will also be the detention of the chief financial officer of the Chinese tech giant Meng Wanzhou. Tim Danks, Vice President of risk management and partner relations at Huawei Technologies USA, said: “We want to have a discussion with the U.S. administration separately from the Chinese government. We don’t want to be lumped into that discussion”. At this point, the company has yet to have a chance to speak with the new Biden administration, but hopes to have discussions soon.
Last year, the Trump administration placed the Chinese brand on an export blacklist called the Entity List over security allegations. This made it impossible for Huawei to buy critical components from US firms. But the company is now hoping for a “tweak and temporary license” that will allow US companies to continue selling to the Chinese brand.
Tim Danks also added that “in the short term, US sales will not be a priority for Huawei. Our priority is the supply chain. ” However, Biden’s candidate for Secretary of Commerce, Gina Raimondo, previously stated that she “will use the full toolbox at her disposal to protect America and our networks from Chinese interference or any behind-the-scenes influence on our network, be it Huawei, ZTE. or any other company. ” So it remains to be seen what position the new administration will take, even if negotiations with Huawei take place.
Huawei: We have more than a billion active smartphone worldwide
Huawei Founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei recently spoke at the GTS Cloud and Device Cloud Cooperation and Integration Progress conference. During his speech, he stated that Huawei has a wide range of devices; and the number of active smartphones has already exceeded one billion.
The Huawei founder also said that in the next phase; in 2-3 years, they plan to create the safest and most reliable cloud ecosystem for end devices. In addition, Ren Zhengfei said that the Huawei ecosystem should have a completely open architecture for all applications and developers.
Huawei has notified its suppliers that orders for smartphone parts will fall more than 60% in 2021. Huawei will ship 70 to 80 million smartphones this year, down from 189 million last year, according to official figures.
Interestingly, just four months ago it became known that there are a billion active iPhone smartphones in the world.
Huawei: We will never sell our smartphone business
Ren Zhengfei, founder and CEO of Huawei, said on Tuesday that Huawei will survive the sanctions imposed by Donald Trump and look forward to a renewed relationship with the United States when new President Joe Biden comes to power.
Joe Biden took over as head of the White House last month. Huawei now expects the new US president to improve relations between the two countries; as well as American and Chinese companies. Ren Zhengfei said Huawei remains determined to buy equipment from US companies and that restoring Huawei’s access to US goods is mutually beneficial. In addition, he suggests that the restrictions on the Chinese tech giant will hurt US suppliers.
“We hope the new US administration would have an open policy for the benefit of American firms and the economic development of the United States,” said Ren. “We still hope that we can buy large volumes of American materials, components, and equipment so that we can all benefit from China’s growth.”
The leader of the company also denied information that Huawei is going out of the smartphone business.
“We have decided we absolutely will not sell off our consumer devices, our smartphone business,” he said.
The company will unveil the flagship foldable smartphone Huawei Mate X2 on February 22nd; and the Huawei P50 is expected to be announced in March.