Experts from DxOMark tested the camera capabilities of the latest Samsung foldable smartphone Galaxy Z Fold3. The device scored 124 points, which allowed it to take 24th place in the overall ranking, overtaking the flagship Galaxy S21 Ultra, whose camera “on paper” looks much more impressive.
DxOMark noted that the Z Fold3 demonstrates less noise when taking photos and recording videos than the Galaxy S21 Ultra, the current traditional flagship of the South Korean company. More importantly, the foldable smartphone does not have the autofocus issues that are common with the S21 Ultra. In addition, the Z Fold3 offers better color reproduction, more realistic textures and good exposure for both day and night shots.
Among the disadvantages of the Galaxy Z Fold3 camera, DxOMark experts note clipping of highlights, low detail in some shooting scenarios in low light, and visible noise in videos shot in low light.
Thus, the Galaxy Z Fold3’s three 12MP sensors provide more interesting images than the Galaxy S21 Ultra. However, early next year, Samsung will unveil a new flagship series, the Galaxy S22, which is expected to offer a more advanced main camera.
- Accurate target exposure in most photos
- Bright color and neutral white balance in outdoor and indoor photos
- Well-controlled noise in most photos
- Good detail in close and medium-range telephotos
- Accurate exposure with smooth transitions in most videos
- Vivid and pleasant color in most videos
- Video autofocus is mainly accurate
- Highlight clipping sometimes visible on HDR scenes
- Low detail on indoor and low light photos
- Color fringing, ringing, and color quantization artifacts often visible in photos
- Color fringing, low detail, and anamorphosis artifacts visible in most ultra-wide photos
- Visible noise in low light videos
- Slow autofocus in low light videos
- High-frequency stabilization vibrations occasionally noticeable in videos
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the smartphone.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G specifications
- 7.6-inch (2208 x 1768 pixels) QXGA+ 22.5:18 Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 374ppi, 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 900 nits(HBM), 1200 nits(peak)
- 6.2-inch (2268 x 832 pixels) 24.5:9) HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 387ppi, 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 1000 nits(HBM), 1500 nits(peak), Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB / 512GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 12MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom, up to 10x digital zoom, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, Super clear glass with Corning Gorilla Glass with DX
- 10MP cover front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 4MP Under display camera with f/1.8 aperture
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- Water resistant (IPX8)
- Dimensions Folded: 67.1 x 158.2 x 16.0mm(Hinge) ~ 14.4mm (Sagging), Unfolded: 128.1 x 158.2 x 6.4mm; Weight: 271g
- 5G SA/NSA, Sub6 / mmWave, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 6E (2.4/5GHz), HE160, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5.2 LE, Ultra Wide Band, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4400mAh battery with 25W wired and 10W wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging