At the Huawei Winter Flagship New Product Launch Conference, Huawei officially released the Huawei P50 Pocket. This is the company’s first foldable smartphone with a flip fold. The Huawei P50nPocket comes with a new generation water drop hinge. Yu Chengdong (Huawei Executive) said that the water drop hinges are Huawei’s exclusive patents. He claims that foldable smartphones without gaps can not work without Huawei’s patents. He said, “If you see that there are no gaps in the foldable smartphone of any company, then Huawei’s patents must be used”.
Through years of accumulation and iteration in hinge technology, Huawei now has a new hinge design. The company has the new generation drop-shaped hinges which it uses on the P50 Pocket. The new generation drop-shape hinges permit the entire hinge structure to rise when multi-dimensional linkage lifting is unfolded. The structure falls when folded. The self-designed drop hinges patent technology integrates many precision components in a small space.
Gizchina News of the week
Furthermore, the new hinge ensures that the creases as a result of bending are minimal. The folding and unfolding of this smartphone are perfectly smooth. The drop-shaped hinge also uses a variety of high-precision special materials and special manufacturing processes to ensure high strength while achieving a lighter weight. This further improves the reliability and aesthetics of this foldable smartphone.
In the unfolded state, the Huawei P50 Pocket is a flagship phone with a 6.9-inch large screen. The 21:9 screen ratio is more suitable for watching movies. The display also supports 442PPI, 1.07 billion colors, and P3 global color management. In addition, it supports up to 120Hz smart refresh rate, 1440Hz high-frequency PWM dimming, and 300Hz touch sampling rate.
Huawei P50 Pocket specifications
- 6.9-inch (2790 x 1188 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate, 300Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz high frequency PWM dimming, DCI-P3 colour gamut, up to 1.07 billion colours
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 4G 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB RAM with 256GB storage / 12GB RAM with 512GB storage
- Android-based EMUI 12 (Global) / HarmonyOS 2 (China)
- Dual SIM
- 40MP True-Chroma Camera with f/1.8 aperture, 13MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 32MP Ultra Spectrum Camera with f/1.8 aperture
- 10.7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C Audio
- Dimensions: 170 (87.3 when folded) ×75.5 ×7.2 (15.2 when folded) mm; Weight: 190g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 Dual band), NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4000mAh (typical) battery with 40W HUAWEI SuperCharge wired fast charging