Google Camera is one of the wonders among Android devices. It easily stands as one of the spotlights in the Google Pixel smartphones. After all, the algorithms behind the app, are responsible for the marvelous pictures captured by these devices. Google sustained its wonderful pictures using the same hardware for more than three years. Now, with the Pixel 6 series, we’re seeing the first hardware changes, but GCam still stands as responsible for such wonders;
While other companies are relying on multiple cameras to deliver high-quality shots, Google Pixels are sustained by powerful software and applications. Pixel smartphones are blessed with this technology that makes them some of the best smartphones in the photography market. They have official support for advanced features like Astrophotography, High-Resolution Video Recording, AI-powered HDR, and many others. The community is fast, and after successful GCam iterations of GCam 8.3, we finally have a working Gcam 8.4 mod for Android smartphones. The new updated version brings a set of interesting features and improvements. It has been bought to us by the hands of BSG, one of the leading developers in the GCam project.
The Google Pixel 6 is coming later this year with a new GCam version, until then, we can enjoy the features that have been ported from other Pixel smartphones.
What is Gcam?
In short, Gcam is a mod that aims to bring the Google Camera app to several smartphones and ensure that all features work with them. There are several variations of Gcam. Some are meant for multiple Android devices, while others are made specifically for a single smartphone. Currently, there are multiple developers working on Gcam and an active community of users using the Mod. We have several devices being supported by these mods. GCam has been improving the photography scene no matter if you have a premium or a mid-range smartphone.
Gcam 8.4 app main features and changelog:
- Many new features.
- Optimizations and better management of codes.
- Added AUX mode with button detection.
- Everything can be set in Advanced menu > Auxiliary, Stream config, Ram patcher, Noise model, Custom lib, XML.
- Fixed several bugs
- Added “preview format”, “hard level”, “Pixel 7” to “Model” and “Interface” settings
- Fixed work of some modes.
- Several work algorithms have been changed (perhaps the modification will work on some HUAWEI devices).
- All modification settings for pixel devices are connected.
- Fixed modification work on some devices.
Tested on following devices: OnePlus 3T, OnePlus 5T, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7T Pro, OnePlus 8 Pro, OnePlus 8T, Samsung S20 Ultra, Poco x2, Poco X3, Redmi Note 7 Pro, Asus Zenfone, POCO X3 Pro, OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9R, OnePlus 9RT, OnePlus 9 Pro, Redmi Note 10, Redmi Note 10 Pro, and others.
Gizchina News of the week
How to download and install Google Camera 8.1 in your Android device
The new mod is almost available for every Android smartphone. There are some restrictions though, but the main one involves having support for camera2 API. Moreover, you’ll need to make sure that your device is running Android 10 at least. After all, Gcam 8.1 will not work with devices running Android 9.0 or below, but you can try your luck.
- Download the APK provided (It’s a beta build [work-in-progress] so might carry some bugs)
- Select and Install it ( You’ll be prompted with the request for allowing app installation from external sources, don’t worry the app is safe).
- Open the Google Camera once the icon appears in your launcher
- If you run an old version of Android, you can try and download Gcam 7.3, 7.2, 7.1, or any mod that is compatible with your version. There are some device-specific versions of GCam, you can refer to CelsoAzevedo’s repository for more.
- Make sure your device has camera2.API enabled. If you don’t know what is this, just type “camera 2 API checker, on Play Store. Download the respective app to make sure your device has support for it.”
- For more details, support, and feedback, you can check the BSG at the GCam repository. You can also report possible bugs on the BSG GCam-focused Telegram group. For news and updates about BSG GCam Mods, you can refer to the Telegram Channel. We can only thank this talented developer for his tough efforts to improve this platform.
If you’ve followed the entire process, feel free to leave your impressions in the comments section below. Good Luck!
Disclaimer: The APK is from the repository of popular Gcam modder BSG. It’s a beta build, so might carry some bugs. All credits go for him and his respective partners.