WhatsApp has announced in the past few hours that the function to migrate app data from Android to iOS and vice versa is now available for all users of the messaging platform. The news comes just over a month after the activation of the similar function in the beta version of the client. This means that even those who now use a stable version should receive the activation of the function that satisfies – finally with an official tool – a need for a long time expressed by users.
Basically, the function allows you to transfer account information, profile photo, single and group chats, chat history, multimedia content and settings from the WhatsApp app for Android to the iOS one. However, it does not move the call history.
It is also important to keep in mind some important information on the data transferred:
- They are not stored in the cloud until an iCloud backup is created.
- Whatsapp cannot viewe the data.
- They also remain in the Android smartphone until you delete WhatsApp or the smartphone memory.
To contextualize the news, please note that WhatsApp has offered the possibility of performing the reverse operation; (migration from iPhone to Android) even with Pixel and Android 12-based smartphones since last autumn; previously it was only possible to do so towards a limited number of Samsung models.
The requirements for migrating Whatsapp data from Android to iPhone are:
- Android smartphone with Android 5.0 or later
- iOS smartphone with iOS 15.5 or later
- WhatsApp for Android in version 184.108.40.206 or later
- WhatsApp for iOS in version 220.127.116.11 or later
- Switch to iOS app (DOWNLOAD) installed on the Android smartphone
- The same phone number is in use on both devices
- Migration from Android to iOS can only be done to an iPhone set or reset to factory settings to be paired with the Switch to iOS app