One of the downsides of Essential Phone is the camera app and the founder of Essential Phone, Andy Rubin who is also the co-founder of Android OS said at some point that the company was aware of the situation and an update will be released to fix it. Well, the update has finally arrived and this update is expected to place this bezel-less smartphone camera on the same level with other Android flagship smartphones.
To get this update up and running, you need to install the latest system build (NMI81C), which adds “improved performance and bug fixes.”. It has a size of just 72MB thus it should be downloaded and installed seamlessly. After this, you can now update the phone camera app. To do this, go to Google Play Store and search for Camera app update. Make sure you install the latest version. The upgrade as affirmed by Essential includes
- Boosted capture speed in regular and low light to below 1 second (over 40% faster);
- Improved brightness and performance in low-light;
- Spatial sound when shooting in 360 (supported on device, Facebook, and YouTube);
- Use volume up/down keys as shutter buttons in 360 mode;
- Countdown timer when in 360 camera mode;
- Bug fixes and overall reliability improvements.
HDR intensifications, live 360 streaming to Facebook and Periscope, animated 360 stills and filters, Portrait Mode and Pro Mode are some of many additional improvements to the Essential Phone camera which will be gotten gradually form updates via Google Play.