Alongside the Honor Magic 2 and the Honor Magic watch, Huawei’s sub-brand Honor recent event in China brought about another device – the Honor WaterPlay 8″ water-resistant Android tablet. Much like the Honor magic 2, the Honor WaterPlay 8″ water-resistant tablet is an upgrade to the Waterplay tablet announced about a year ago.
While the original Honor WaterPlay tab includes a large 10.1-inch QXGA resolution display (1920 x 1200 pixels), the latest Honor WaterPlay tablet flaunts an 8-inch 1200 x 1920 pixels WXGA display with 60 percent of NTSC Color Gamut, still with IP67 certification for water-resistance.
It is powered by Kirin 659 SoC the same SoC that powers the Honor 7X and the first waterplay tab, but now runs on Android 8.0 (Nougat) with EMUI 8.0 on top. It has stereo speakers with Huawei Histen 5.0 3D audio technology and a fingerprint sensor embedded into the home button.
Unlike the original honor play tablet with a single rear camera, the Honor WaterPlay 8″ tab photographic functions are handled by a dual rear camera setup – a 13-megapixel camera along with a 2-megapixel secondary camera for portrait shots, and an 8-megapixel front camera with face unlock.
It gets a downgraded battery – from a big 6660mAh battery to a 5100mAh battery with support for 9V-2A fast charging.
Honor WaterPlay 8″ specifications
- 8-inch (1200 x 1920 pixels) WXGA display with 60% NTSC Color Gamut
- Octa-Core Kirin 659 processor (4 xA53 at 2.36GHz + 4 x A53 at 1.7GHz) with MaliT830-MP2 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB /128GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo) with EMUI 5.1
- 13MP rear camera with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP secondary camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Water and dust resistant (IP67)
- 3.5mm audio jack, Huawei Histen 3D audio
- Dimensions: 248 × 173 × 7.8mm; Weight: 465g
- 4G LTE (Optional), WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, USB Type-C
- 5100mAh (typical) / 4980mAh (minimum) battery with fast charging
Available in Gold and Silver colors, the Honor WaterPlay 8″ tablet will go on sale in China from November 6 at 1499 yuan (US$ 217 / Rs. 15,899 approx.) for the 64GB WiFi version, 1899 yuan (US$ 275 / Rs. 20,140 approx.) for the 128GB WiFi version, while the 64GB 4G LTE version goes for 1799 yuan (US$ 261 / Rs. 19,080 approx.).