On May 7th, Google I/O Developer Conference was officially opened in Mountain View, California, USA, and a new generation of Android Q system was released. As the first 5G mobile phone supporting Android Q, Xiaomi MIX 3 5G version provided the first feel of the Android Q Beta on 5G devices. Xiaomi 9 is also another smartphone from Xiaomi to join the Android Q experience. Prior to the release of the Redmi K20 Pro, Xiaomi president, Lin Bin had said that the Android Q Beta will be waiting for the smartphone when it arrives. Today, an MIUI Forum moderator broke the news that the Redmi K20 Pro Android Q Beta is now available.
To get this update, here are important steps to take
- Confirm that the phone has unlocked the BL lock. If you have not unlocked your device, you must first apply for unlocking permission. You can find the unlocking permission link HERE
- Download the Android Q brush package extract to the computer
- Download the brush tool (MiFlash) latest version which is MiFlash2018-5-28-0.zip You can find that HERE
- Shut down the phone by holding down the volume + power button to go into fastboot mode and then connect to the computer
- Open the downloaded Android Q brush package, copy the directory of the brush package folder just unzipped and paste it on the brush machine tool. You have to wait for the phone to automatically restart.
Please note that the Android Q system is in its beta phase thus it comes with a couple of bugs. Xiaomi has identified some of them as follows
- Does not support fingerprint module;
- After the user selects “Apps and Notifications”, the “Settings” application crashes and displays the “Settings to Stop” notification;
- Can not switch between multiple users
- There may be cases where the video downloaded from Google Drive does not display the video length in the photo library
- Bluetooth search may not be available for certain keyboards. The known failure case is Logitech’s K380 keyboard.