Last year, Nubia made an interesting bet: run away from the notch by implementing two screens, one in front and one in the back. Thus was born the Nubia X, a very curious terminal that is now renewed with the new Nubia Z20. This terminal was leaked a week before its presentation, but now it is official, so let’s get to know it better.
Summarizing its technical sheet we have, in addition to two screens, the latest from the latest Qualcomm under the hood, up to half a terabyte of internal storage, three rear cameras (which also serve as front cameras) and Android 9 Pie. A high-end full-fledged one that, for the moment, stays in China.
Nubia Z20 specifications
- 6.42-inch (1080 × 2340 pixels) 19.5:9 FHD+ AMOLED curved glass display with 430 nit / 600nit (HBM) brightness, 100% NTSC Color Gamut
- 5.1-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ AMOLED secondary display with 330nit brightness, 100% NTSC Color Gamut
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus (1 x Kryo 485 at 2.96GHz + 3 x Kryo 485 at 2.42GHz + 4 x Kryo 385 at 1.8GHz) 7nm Mobile Platform with 675MHz Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB storage/ 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB storage / 512GB storage
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with nubia UI 7.0
- Dual SIM
- 48MP rear camera with 1/2.25″ Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8um pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, dual LED flash, OIS, 16MP 122.2° ultra-wide camera, 2.5cm macro, 8MP telephoto lens for 3x loss-less zoom and 30x digital zoom
- Dual side-mounted fingerprint sensors
- Dimensions: 158.63×75.26×9mm; Weight: 186g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, Dual GPS (L1/L5), USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typcial) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with 27W fast PD charging, Quick Charge 4.0
Two screens, two fingerprint readers and three cameras
The Nubia Z20’s design is very different from what we have seen in other high-end devices, mainly because it has two AMOLED screens and two fingerprint readers, one on each side of the device. That is designed to unlock the phone as it grabs, since, after all, it will be mandatory to turn around to take a selfie, for example. The back is made of glass and is available in red, blue and black.
Let’s talk about the screens. The “main”, the one in the front, is a curved AMOLED panel of 6.42 inches 19.5: 9 with FullHD+ resolution (2,340 x 1,080 pixels). wwith a maximum brightness of, according to the brand, 600 nits. The screen we have on the back, which we can call “secondary”, is also AMOLED, but 5.1 inches with HD+ resolution (1,520 x 720 pixels). It will be used, mainly, to take pictures and to have a kind of screensaver when not in use.
The Snapdragon 855 Plus for gaming
The engine consists of six or eight GB of RAM with 128 or 512 GB of internal storage. There is no 256 GB intermediate version. The processor, of course, is the Snapdragon 855 Plus for the public gamer. And now that we talk about gamers, highlight that the frames are sensitive. So they can be configured to emulate buttons and execute actions in games.
Nubia Z20 Detail
There is no engine without fuel, and in this case. We are talking about a 4,000 mAh battery with a 27W fast charge compatible with Quick Charge 4.0 standard. The operating system is Android 9 Pie with Nubia UI, its particular layer of customization. As for connectivity, we have WiFi ac 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, dual GPS and USB type C.
We end up talking about the cameras that, remember, are the same for both main photos and self-portraits. The Nubia Z20 incorporates a triple sensor, the main one being a Sony IMX586 of 48 megapixels. It’s accompanied by an ultra-wide-angle (122.2º) of 16 megapixels. And an 8 megapixel telephoto with x3 optical zoom and x30 digital zoom.
The Nubia Z20 comes in Black, Blue and Red colors. Priced at 3499 yuan (US$ 496 / Rs. 35,180 approx) for the 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version. 3699 yuan (US$ 524 / Rs. 37,195 approx.) for the 8GB RAM with 128GB storage version. And the top-end 8GB RAM with 512GB storage version costs 4199 yuan (US$ 595 / Rs. 42,220 approx.). It will be available for order from today and goes on sale in China from August 16th.