The Redmi 8 made its official debut in India earlier this month. The same device, alongside the more affordable Redmi 8A, is already on sale in India where they are both contending with a number of Realme’s smartphones. Now, the Xiaomi sub-brand at an event in China announced both devices for its home market at an unbelievable price point.
Redmi 8A and Redmi 8 Price, and availability in China
Both devices are scheduled to go on sale in China beginning from Tomorow October 15 at 10 AM (local time). You can get the Redmi 8A in Dark Blue, Coral Orange, and Midnight Black color options at an introductory price of 699 Yuan (~$99) for the base variant with 3GB RAM, and 799 Yuan (~$113) for the 4GB version. As an introductory offer, the brand has slashed the Redmi 8A 4GB RAM variant by 100 Yuan (~$14), though for a limited time.
The Redmi 8 starts at 799 Yuan (~$113) which nets you the 3GB RAM version, while the 4GB+128GB version goes for .899 Yuan (~$127). The more pricy Redmi 8 is available in China in Fairy Green, Sapphire Blue, and Carbon Ash Black color options.
Redmi 8, Redmi 8A Specs
Of course, the Redmi 8 series launched in China today is the same device launched in India a while ago. The Redmi 8 is very similar to the Redmi 8A in terms of design – upfront, and on the flip side. They both feature the same 6.2-inch IPS LCD display with a waterdrop notch, as well as a prominent chin with Redmi branding. The similarities extend the flip side, but while the Redmi8 gas a single rear camera with no fingerprint scanner, the Redmi8 gets a dual rear camera setup complete with a fingerprint scanner.
Gizchina News of the week
They both come with P2i nano-coating for splash resistance, get Gorilla Glass 5 protection, powered by a 5,000mAh capacity with 18W fast charging, and of course are propelled by the same Snapdragon 439 chipset that powers the Redmi 7A.
Redmi 8 specifications
- 6.22-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 2.5D curved glass display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core (Quad 1.95GHz Cortex A53 + Quad 1.45GHz Cortex A53) Snapdragon 439 12nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 505 GPU
- 3GB RAM with 32GB storage / 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, 6P lens, Dual PD autofocus, secondary 2MP camera
- 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size
- Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Wireless FM Radio
- Dimensions: 156.48×75.41×9.4mm; Weight: 188g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 18W fast charging