A few years ago, Motorola was among the fastest companies providing timely Android updates. It’s funny how things change with the years right? Now, there are several companies running custom Android skins that ship Android updates faster than the Lenovo-owned firm ships for its vanilla-Android smartphones. Despite the long waiting, the company is still there working on updates for recent smartphones. Today, owners of the Moto G7 Play are finally being contemplated with the Android 10 update.
The Moto G7 Play was released in February last year with Android 9 Pie straight out of the box. With the Android 10 release in September last year, the company started to work on the update for several of its smartphones and the process has taken a long time, at least for the low-end devices. The update is currently rolling out in Brazil, but we believe that more regions will be added to the schedule in the future.
The new update carries QPY30.52-22 serial and brings all the goodies introduced with Android 10. The list includes new incremental changes in the UI, revamped gestures navigation, advanced permission controls, and more. Interestingly enough, the Moto G7 product page in Brazil still lists the device with Android 9 Pie. So, we believe that this update is reaching just a small part of users right now. A broader rollout should commence in the coming days. However, we don’t know if it will also cover other regions.
We believe that Android 10 will be pretty much the end of the line for the handset. The G7 Play is a low-end product and companies don’t tend to keep updating these devices for long years. Despite the lack of future official updates, the custom ROM community may keep providing updates for this handset in the future.
Several other Motorola phones are still waiting for the Android 10 update. However, the arrival of the update for this entry-level update gives a little more hope for customers that are still waiting for Google’s latest OS.
Moto G7 Play specifications
- Released 2019
- Dimensions: 147.3 x 71.5 x 8 mm
- Weight: 149g
- Display: 5.7 inches IPS LCD, 81.4 cm2 (~77.3% screen-to-body ratio), 720 x 1512 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~294 ppi density), Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM632 Snapdragon 632 (14 nm), Octa-core (4×1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Silver),
- GPU: Adreno 506
- Storage: 32GB emmc
- RAM: 2GB
- Rear Camera: 13MP, f/2.0, 1/3.1″, 1.12um, PDAF – Support Panorama mode, HDR and 4K videos with 30 frames-per-second.
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/2.2, 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Battery: 3,000mAh battery with 10W charging.
- Main Features: 3.5mm headphone jack, FM Radio, A-GPS, GPS, GLONASS, USB-C port, Fingerprint scanner, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, compass