The affordable Google Pixel 4a, presented last week and positioned as a direct competitor to the iPhone SE 2020, has already become a bestseller on several marketplaces. But some of the first users encountered an unexpected problem related to the incorrect operation of the screen auto-brightness system. The fact is that by switching to a frameless design, the manufacturer for the first time placed a light sensor directly under the display, which was the reason for its strange behavior.
Google Pixel 4a has a strange problem with the brightness sensor
Something sure seems wrong with the Pixel 4a brightness sensor. Here's a raw brightness readout app and mine (on the left) just wildly fluctuates for no reason. pic.twitter.com/mY3chuMTzP
— Ron Amadeo (@RonAmadeo) August 10, 2020
Ars Technica website has published a video that clearly illustrates the sensor’s operation in the form of a dynamically changing graph – on the Pixel 4a (left), it clearly “goes crazy”, illuminated by the backlight of the device screen itself. Moreover, the problem manifests itself only in relatively dim lighting – under the sun’s rays the system works correctly. Google representatives have not yet commented on the situation.
Google Pixel 4a becomes a real bestseller
It seems that all skeptics who believe that the hype around the Google Pixel 4a is not justified will be upset with the following news. Amazon, which on Monday- last week began accepting pre-orders for the Pixel 4a even before the official announcement of the start of sales, recently reported on the incredible popularity of the device. According to the site, Google’s mid-range budget is currently unavailable for purchase after it became the “number one bestseller”.
As a reminder, the Pixel 4a has a 5.81-inch screen and is powered by the Snapdragon 730G with 6GB of RAM. The only storage option is 128GB, which is twice as much as last year. The smartphone is sold in only one color – black.
The smartphone has the familiar 12.2MP sensor that we saw in last year’s flagship Pixel 4. The fingerprint sensor is located on the back. The smartphone is powered by a 3140 mAh battery, more than previous small Pixel devices. As always, Google plans to update this smartphone for at least three years with the latest security patches. In addition, the phone offers a stock Android experience free of bloatware.
Google Pixel 4a specifications
- 5.81-inch (1080 x 2340 pixels) FHD+ OLED 18.5:9 display, 443 PPI, HDR support, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa-Core (2.2GHz Dual + 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 730G Mobile Platform with Adreno 618 GPU, Titan M security chip
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 10
- 12.2MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, LED flash, Dual PD autofocus, OIS, EIS, 4K video recording at 30fps, 1080p at up to 120fps and 720p at up to 240fps
- 8MP front camera with 84° ultra-wide lens, f/2.0 aperture
- Dual SIM (Single Nano-SIM + eSIM)
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, 2 microphones
- Dimensions: 144x 69.4 x 8.2mm; Weight: 143g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2x2MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE, GPS, USB Type-C Gen 1, NFC
- 3140mAh battery with 18W fast charging