At the end of 2018, to a surprise for many, Royole announced the world’s first foldable smartphone, dubbed the FlexPai. The company has been around since 2012 and specializes in flexible display technology, but FlexPai was their first smartphone. Now the company has released a successor to the original model called the FlexPai 2.
It’s already available for pre-order in China for $1,470 in a version with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of flash storage. A version with 12GB of RAM and 512GB of flash is offered for $1,700.
Royole FlexPai 2 foldable smartphone launched with a competitive price
The Royole FlexPai 2 has a number of improvements over its predecessor. It received a flexible 3rd generation Cicada Wing OLED display, and the body itself can be folded with zero gaps. The company claims that the developers have reduced the overall thickness of the phone when folded by 40% compared to the previous model.
The 7.8-inch display has a resolution of 1920 x 1440 pixels at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When folded, you get two screens with a diagonal of 5.5 and 5.4 inches, respectively. The smartphone is based on the Snapdragon 865 SoC, it supports dual-mode (SA/NSA) 5G connection.
The Royole FlexPai 2 runs waterOS 2.0 based on Android 10, with early reviewers claiming the interface resembles Huawei’s EMUI. Interestingly, the software of the original FlexPai was similar to MIUI.
The main camera is 64-megapixel with 3x optical zoom. The DLP selfie uses a 32-megapixel image sensor. The smartphone received Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, A-GPS, BeiDou, Galileo, GLONASS, USB 3.1 Type-C, two stereo speakers, side fingerprint sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, compass and a barometer.
The battery capacity is 4450 mAh, there is support for fast charging with a power of 18 watts.
It is worth to mention that the new Royole FlexPai 2 has a competitive price, much cheaper than the recently announced Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, and here is a reminder of the specifications of it:
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 specifications
- 7.3-inch (2208 x 1768 pixels) QXGA+ 22.5:18 Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED 2x main display, 6.2-inch (2260 x 816 pixels) 25:9 HD+ Super AMOLED Infinity Flex cover display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB / 512GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 10 with One UI 2.5
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 12MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom, up to 10x digital zoom, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 10MP cover and 10MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- Dimensions Folded: 68.0 x 159.2 x13.8~16.8mm, Unfolded: 128.2 x 159.2 x 6.0~6.9mm; Weight: 282g
- 5G SA/NSA, Sub6 / mmWave, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4500mAh battery with 25W wired and 11W wireless (WPC and PMA) charging