OnePlus, which has only made flagships for several years, entered the mid-range and budget smartphone market last year with the OnePlus Nord lineup. The company is now preparing to launch the OnePlus Nord 2, details of which have surfaced online.
In addition to the flagship OnePlus 9 series smartphones, the Chinese company is about to launch the inexpensive OnePlus Nord 2 with the aim of strengthening its position in the competitive mid-range smartphone market. The device will be built on the basis of the new MediaTek Dimensity 1200 SoC with support for 5G networks.
OnePlus has so far used Qualcomm SoCs in all of its smartphones. The Dimensity 1200 is manufactured in a 6nm process. The Dimensity 1200 configuration includes eight cores (1 + 3 + 4), the main one being Cortex-A78, which operates at 3.0 GHz. Additionally, three more Cortex-A78 cores with a frequency of 2.6 Hz and four energy-efficient Cortex-A55 cores operating at a frequency of 2.0 Hz are installed. Dimensity 1200 also supports 5G dual SIM dual standby
Detailed specifications about the smartphone are expected to appear shortly. OnePlus Nord has had success in the Indian market mainly due to its affordable $340 price tag. It is unlikely that the new smartphone will be significantly more expensive.
OnePlus Nord 2 should launch in the second quarter.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the original OnePlus Nord smartphone.
OnePlus Nord specifications
- 6.44-inch (1080 x 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 408 ppi 20:9 Fluid AMOLED display with 90Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 12GB LPDDR4X RAM with 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 10 with OxygenOS 10.5
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 48MP rear camera with Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.75 aperture, OIS + EIS Hybrid stabilization; 8MP 119° ultra-wide camera with f/2.25 aperture; 5MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture; 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture, 4K video at 30fps, 1080p slow motion at 240fps
- 32MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX616 sensor, f/2.45 aperture, EIS, secondary 8MP 105° ultra-wide camera with f/2.45 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 158.3×73.3×8.2mm; Weight: 184g
- USB Type-C audio, Super linear speaker
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2X2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1+L5 Dual Band) + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4115mAh battery with Warp Charge 30T Fast Charging (5V/6A)