Redmi unveiled its maiden gaming smartphone, Redmi K40 gaming version a few days ago. According to the company, this smartphone sold out in a few seconds in its pre-sales. However, in the first official sales today, this smartphone seems to be more popular than we think. The company’s latest announcement shows that the Redmi K40 gaming version sold over 100,000 units in 60 seconds. This is a good start for the company because it is targeting over 1.7 million unit sales of this smartphone this year.
According to Lu Weibing, gaming smartphones are not popular because they are too expensive. The Redmi K40 gaming version is bridging this gap. The starting price of this device is 1999 yuan ($309) which is very competitive. In China, the total sales of gaming smartphones last year is between 1.6 – 1.7 million units. Redmi’s plan is to surpass this figure with the Redmi K40 gaming version alone, this is quite ambitious.
Furthermore, Redmi says that it has been studying the gaming market for a long time. Lu Weibing also revealed that the company chooses to enter the gaming market because of the increasing number of young users. Especially in the K series, there are a lot of young users that spend their time playing games.
Redmi K40 gaming version is very competitive
In terms of design, the Redmi K40 gaming version is 8.3mm thick and weighs 205g. It uses an all-metal middle frame, dual-sided fifth-generation Corning Gorilla Glass, with dual-eye cameras + high-gloss matte body.
This smartphone comes with a 6.67-inch OLED flexible screen that supports a resolution of 2400 x 1080 pixels. The display also comes with 10-bit (1.067 billion) colours, HDR10+, DCI-P3 coverage, and a 480Hz touch sampling rate. This smartphone comes with a Dimensity 1200 chip as well as a built-in 5065 mAh battery that supports 67W flash charging. The Redmi K40 gaming version comes with a pop-up magnetic-powered shoulder button that is certified by 100 mainstream games.
In terms of heat dissipation, this smartphone uses an exclusive heat dissipation technology. It has a 11540mm² aerospace composite heat dissipation film that uses a boron nitride material. This is the first heat dissipation technology that uses the boron nitride material.
Redmi K40 Gaming Version specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display, 120Hz refresh rate, up to 500 nits (typical brightness), Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Up to 3GHz Octa-Core MediaTek Dimensity 1200 6nm processor with ARM G77 MC9 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, 12GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12.5 based on Android 11
- 64MP rear camera with f/1.65 aperture, LED flash, 8MP 119° ultra-wide-angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP tele-macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP front-facing camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, JBL Audio quality certification, Dual speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 161.94x 76.93 x 8.3mm; Weight: 205g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.1 (Bluetooth 5.2 in Pro), GPS (L1 + L5), NavIC, NFC, USB Type-C
- 5,065mAh (Typical) battery with 66W fast charging