Chinese manufacturer, Xiaomi, is quite good at launching a smartphone multiple times with different names for different markets. In some cases, the company will change a few hardware in a pre-existing device and re-release it with a new name for a different market. However, the company usually does this with new (few months old) devices. According to a recent report, Xiaomi plans to re-launch a two years old smartphone. The report claims that the company will re-launch the Redmi Note 8 in some markets including Europe.
A Polish unofficial MIUI translator, @Kacper Skrzypek claims that Xiaomi is seeking to re-sell its 2-year-old Redmi Note 8 mobile phone for specific markets. The FCC listing review document confirms this statement. The model number of the smartphone is M1908C3JGG and it will be officially called Redmi Note 8 (2021).
However, the Redmi Note 8 (2021) will not be entirely the same as the old 2019 Redmi Note 8. This new smartphone will come with a MediaTek Helio G85 chip which was released last year. This is an upgrade from the 2019 Qualcomm Snapdragon 665. However, it will retain the same 4000 mAh battery as the old version. This smartphone will come with the new MIUI 12.5 system.
Gizchina News of the week
Furthermore, the leakster revealed that the new Note 8 will come with a 22.5W fast charging. This is another upgrade from the old 18W charging capacity. This new smartphone will also come with a quad-rear camera setup with a 48MP main camera. In terms of storage, it will have up to 128GB of internal memory.
For now, there is no information on the markets that this device will launch. However, the speculations, for now, claim that it will be available in Europe and Russia. Apart from the changes above, it appears that the remaining specs of the Redmi Note 8 (2021) remain the same as the 2019 version. Here is the specs sheet of the 2019 Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 8 specifications
- 6.39-inch (2340 ×1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass LCD screen, 450 nit brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (eMMC 5.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (eMMC 5.1) storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.79 aperture, Samsung ISOCELL GM1 sensor, PDAF, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide-angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 13MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 158.3 x 75.3×8.35mm; Weight: 190g
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Smart PA, FM Radio
- Splash-proof (P2i nano-coating)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with 18W fast charging