In the spring, Google released the first public beta of Android 12. The company has now begun rolling out its fourth beta to compatible devices. One of the important features of the fresh build of Android 12 is that Google placed it in the Platform Stability section on the OS lifecycle timeline, which indicates its relative suitability for everyday use.
The fact that Android 12 has entered the final stretch in its development also means that application developers can finally test their products in the new OS, since the API, key functions and the layout of the operating system will no longer change. Google encourages developers to thoroughly test their apps for compatibility with Android 12, as the new addition represents the largest platform upgrade in recent years.
In Android 12, Google has overhauled its approach to user privacy and security. The new privacy panel consolidates a number of settings, and also informs users when applications are tracking their activity, accessing information from the clipboard or location data.
In order to try out Android 12 prior to the official launch, you must have a Google Pixel 3 or newer smartphone. Some devices from ASUS, OnePlus, Oppo, Realme, Sharp and ZTE are also compatible with the beta version of the fresh OS. For a complete list of supported devices, visit the Android Beta Program website.
- Fixed issues that prevented some notifications about missed calls from being dismissed. (Issue #193718971, Issue #194388100)
- Fixed issues where system theme colors did not apply to some Quick Settings tiles. (Issue #190633032, Issue #190338020)
- Fixed an issue where Quick Settings tiles did not align to the grid when dragging or rearranging them. (Issue #188641280)
- Fixed an issue where the alarm and mute icons did not display in the notification bar. (Issue #186769656)
- Fixed an issue where the primary Home screen was blank when swiping back to it from another page. (Issue #189435745)
- Fixed an issue where, when a Bluetooth device was connected, audio could not be heard after routing the audio to the phone during a call. (Issue #192585637)
- Fixed an issue where the Calendar widget wouldn’t load after it was added to the Home screen. (Issue #188799206)
- Fixed an issue where toggles for some options in the Settings app were not visible. (Issue #193727765)
- Fixed an issue where widgets would sometimes disappear after restarting the device. (Issue #191363476)
- Fixed an issue where RCS messages did not work when a VPN was active. (Issue #189577131)
- Fixed issues that sometimes caused devices to crash and restart. (Issue #194272305)
- Fixed an issue that caused multiple notifications about foreground service launch restrictions to display. (Issue #194081560)
- Fixed an issue where the wrong app would sometimes open when opening an app from the dock or Home screen area. (Issue #194766697)
- Fixed an issue where double-tapping the device’s screen would not wake it in some cases. (Issue #190453834)
- Fixed an issue where the cell signal strength was not displayed in the status bar. (Issue #190894572)
- Fixed an issue where if a screen recorder was active, the notification shade did not animate properly when closing. (Issue #191276597)
Other resolved issues
- Fixed an issue where, when playing music on Youtube Music on Android Auto, some users experienced audio playing out of the phone instead of the vehicle speakers or no audio at all in Toyota Cars.
- Fixed an issue where, when using Google Maps navigation on Android Auto, some users experienced issues with text being blurry.
- Fixed-an issue where users couldn’t select a destination in Waze while using Android Auto.
- Fixed an issue where the phone became unresponsive or stuck on the lock screen after starting Android Auto.
- Fixed an issue where, in some scenarios, Google Maps could not provide different route options while using Android Auto.
- Fixed-an issue on Android Auto where music would pause when the phone was locked.
- Fixed an issue on Android Auto where users sometimes heard Music audio while trying to reply to an SMS using the Google Assistant.
- Fixed an issue on Android Auto where Automatic Day and Night switching did not work.