ASUS brought its ROG Phone 5 series much earlier than usual in a bid to compete with other smartphone makers in the gaming segment. The company took its smartphones to the Q1 window to fight against the likes of the Black Shark and RedMagic series. Now, that some of these gaming phone makers are gearing up to update their smartphones with a Snapdragon 888+ SoC, the Taiwanese firm went ahead launching its updated ROG Phone 5S series. The ROG Phone 5S and ROG Phone 5S Pro arrive as incremental upgrades over their respective predecessors. The idea here is clearly to keep offering the best the industry has to offer in terms of hardware.
ASUS ROG Phone 5S and 5S Pro specifications
The ROG Phone 5S and ROG Phone 5S Pro feature basically the same specifications when it comes to hardware as well as software. The big difference is that the vanilla ROG Phone 5S Lacks a ROG Vision Display. This particular rear-panel feature is present in the Pro variant. Furthermore, the vanilla ROG Phone 5S model does not have two additional touch sensors on the back cover.
The ROG Phone 5S and ROG Phone 5S Pro measures 173mm x 77mm x 9.90mm in terms of dimensions and weighs 238 grams. As we mentioned before, these handsets come with a 6.67-inch E4 AMOLED display which is equipped with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection. Both gaming smartphones’ display comes with a 144 Hz refresh rate offering 1 millisecond of response time. There is also a 360 Hz native touch sampling rate and an impressive 1200 nits max brightness.
Under the hood, both ROG Phone 5S and 5S Pro bring the very same Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Plus SoC. This variant boasts the Prime Core to 2.995GHz over the 2.84 GHz in the vanilla variant. Moreover, it comes with an Adreno 660 as well as extended AI capabilities. The two gaming smartphones come with up to 18 GB of LPDDR5 RAM. In terms of storage, both go up to 512 GB of UFS 3.1 storage.
Camera and other features
In terms of optics, both devices share the very same triple-camera setup. It comprises a 64 MP main camera, a 13MP ultra-wide-angle lens, and a 5 MP macro camera. On the front, both devices pack the same 24 MP selfie snapper.
The ROG Phone 5s series also packs a 6,000 mAh battery with 65 W fast-charging support. Other features include dual-front stereo speakers, NFC, a 3.5mm headphone jack. In terms of connectivity, the device comes with Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, and a USB Type-C port. In terms of software, both devices run Android 11 with ROG UI.
Gizchina News of the week
The ROG Phone 5S Pro comes in the Phantom Black color option. The vanilla variant is available in Phantom Black or in a glossier Storm White Finish. These devices were announced only for China and Taiwanese regions. We may rear about global availability in the upcoming weeks.
ASUS ROG Phone 5s series Specs Summary
- 6.78-inch (2448 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 144Hz OLED 10-bit HDR 20.4:9 aspect ratio display, 300Hz touch sampling rate, 111% DCI-P3, sRGB : 150.89%, Delta E average <1%; Contrast ratio: 1,000,000:1, 10-bit HDR, 5 nits to 800nits @ APL100 + HBM or 1200nits @ APL1, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Up to 3GHz Octa Core Snapdragon 888+ 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 16GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 18GB LPDDR5 RAM with 512GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 11 with ROG UI
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 64MP rear camera with Sony IMX686 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, 13MP 125˚ ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, 5MP macro sensor with f/2.0 aperture, 8k video at 30 fps, 4k at 60fps, slow-motion 4K at 120 fps, 1080p at 240fps
- 24MP front-facing camera with 0.9µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- 3.5mm audio jack, ESS Sabre ES9280AC Pro with HyperStream II QUAD DAC architecture, Dual 7-magnet Linear 12x16mm front-facing speakers with GameFX & Dirac HD Sound, Powered by dual Cirrus Logic CS35L45 Mono AMP, Quad microphones with OZO Noise Reduction Technology
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Ultrasonic sensors for AirTrigger 5 and grip press detection
- Dimensions: 172.8×77.2×10.29mm; Weight: 238g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, Galileo(E1+E5a), QZSS(L1+L5), NavIC(L5), USB Type-C, NFC
- 6000mAh (typical) / 5800mAh (minimum) battery with 65W HyperCharge fast charging, supports up to 30W QC4.0 / PD3.0 / Direct Charge adapter