Samsung revolutionized the market with its Galaxy A-series and M-series in 2019. After building a solid portfolio of mid-range smartphones, the Korean firm is giving another important step this year by adding 5G connectivity. The devices that started the 5G revolution across Galaxy entry and mid-range level smartphones were the Galaxy A52 and A72 5G. The first is a solid smartphone that arrives with the task to overcome the last year’s Galaxy A51 which turned to be Samsung’s best-selling smartphone in 2020. Despite the good overall specifications, the Galaxy A52s was somewhat lackluster in terms of performance due to the Snapdragon 750G. The device didn’t impress in fast-charging speeds either since it came with just 15W charging. Now, Samsung is addressing these lackluster aspects with a new Galaxy A52s 5G variant.
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G specifications
The Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G packs a brand new Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G which is present in premium 2021 mid-rangers. This is a 6 nm chip fabbed in TSMC’s foundries that features four Cortex-A78 cores, a high-end Adreno 642L GPU, and an X53 5G modem. That’s quite a step up from the two A77-derived cores and Adreno 619 in the Snapdragon 750G. In terms of performance, SD750G is even below the last year’s Snapdragon 765G.
The device still comes in variants with 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of Internal Storage. There are also options with 8 GB of RAM, 128 GB, or 256 GB of Internal Storage. The device also has a micro SD card slot for further memory expansion.
The second major upgrade clearly is the charging capability. The device gets a 25W fast charging which isn’t screaming impressive, but it’s way better than the 15W charger that accompanied the A52. Worth noting that the original device had 25W charging, but Samsung only offered a 15W charger in the bundle. The battery capacity still is 4,500 mAh which should be okay for two days of usage.
Furthermore, the device flaunts the same 6.5-inch Super AMOLED panel with Full HD+ resolution and a 120 Hz refresh rate. Just like before, there is an in-display fingerprint scanner with a centered punch-hole comprising a 32 MP camera. The device also brings the very same Quad-Camera setup at the back. It comprises a primary 64 MP main sensor with an f/1.8 lens and OIS. There is also a 12 MP ultrawide with f/2.2 aperture, as well as a 5 MP macro camera and a 5 MP depth-sensing module. The device also offers IP67 for dust and water resistance.
The device runs Android 11 with One UI 3.1 straight out of the box. Other features include Wi-Fi 5, 5G Dual-Sim, Bluetoth 5.x, and NFC.
Pricing and Availability
The new smartphone will be available in the UK from September 3. Pre-orders will be open on August 24, however. The starting price is £410 ($563) for the variant with a 6 GB / 128 GB configuration. The device comes in Awesome Black, Awesome White, Awesome Violet, and Awesome Mint colorways.
Galaxy A52s 5G Specs Summary
- 6.5-inch FHD+ (1080×2400 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity-O Display with 120Hz refresh rate, up to 800 nits brightness
- Octa-Core (4 x 2.4GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Kryo 670 CPUs) Snapdragon 778G 6nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 642L GPU
- 6GB / 8GB RAM with 128GB internal storage / 8GB RAM with 256GB internal storage, expandable up to 1TB via micro SD card
- Android 11 with Samsung One UI 3.1
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 64MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 12MP ultra-wide angle camera with f/2.2 aperture, 5MP depth sensor, and 5MP macro camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 32MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- In-display Fingerprint sensor
- Samsung Pay
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Water-resistant (IP67)
- Dimensions: 159.9×75.1×8.4mm; Weight: 189g
- 5G SA / NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4500mAh battery with 25W fast charging