It has already become a tradition that Qualcomm releases two flagship chips a year. First, there is a new generation of the platform, and after about six months, the chipmaker brings its overclocked version to the market, where it raises the clock frequency of the cores higher. Rumor has it that a new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 version is also waiting for us this year, but its main difference will be the transition to 4nm process technology from TSMC.
Xiaomi 12 Pro will receive a version with an improved chip
There is already information that the new system on a chip from Qualcomm will be available in the upcoming gaming Lenovo Halo smartphone. It turned out that Xiaomi is also trying to bring the new hardware platform, which is already testing a smartphone with it. The code name of the new device is L2s and the flagship Xiaomi 12 Pro was taken as the basis.
Rumor has it that this year the release of an improved version of Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 is also dictated by the fact that in its current version, the top-end chip was created using Samsung’s 4-nanometer process technology. In terms of energy efficiency and maturity, the technology of the South Korean giant is inferior to the norms of the 4-nm process technology from TSMC. With the competition in the chip market intensified, Qualcomm needs a better solution, which is why it will release Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 using technology from a Taiwanese chipmaker.
Gizchina News of the week
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the current Xiaomi 12 Pro smartphone.
Xiaomi 12 Pro specifications
- 6.73-inch (3200 x 1440 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display, 1-120Hz refresh rate; 480Hz touch sampling rate, up to 1500 nits brightness, 8,000,000:1 (Min) contrast ratio; HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 13 based on Android 12
- 50MP rear camera with 1/ 1.28″ Sony IMX707 sensor, f/1.9 aperture, OIS, LED flash; 50MP Samsung JN1 115° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture; and 50MP Samsung JN1 2x portrait camera with f/1.9 aperture, 48mm focal length, 8K video recording
- 32MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Dual speakers, Harman Kardon tuning, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 163.6×74.6×8.16mm; Weight: 205g (glass) / 204g (leather)
- 5G SA/NSA,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS (L1 + L5), NavIC, USB Type-C
- 4600mAh (Typical) battery with 120W wired fast charging, 50W wireless second charge / 10W Wireless rechargeable