We knew that this will happen one day. The latest report from Canalys shows that in the second quarter of 2022, the global PC market (including tablet PCs) shipments fell by 14% month-on-month to 105 million units. In other words, after the pandemic, when this niche was resurrected, now, most of the users prefer other types of large screen products over tablets.
Further reading: Android Tablet Market Dropped By Half In Q2 2022
Tablet Shipments In Q2 2022
By the way, tablet shipments fell for four consecutive quarters, down 11% year-on-year. In the second quarter, the market shipped 34.8 million units. Chromebooks also declined for four consecutive quarters, with shipments falling 57% to 5.1 million units. Obviously, the reason behind the decline is the weak demand in the consumer and education sectors.
- Surprisingly, the leader in the market faced a decline as well. Apple shipped 12.1 million units, down 15% year-on-year.
- Samsung’s tablet shipments dropped 13% year-on-year, reaching 7 million units. However, it still remains the second brand in the niche.
- Lenovo is one of the brands that suffered the most. Its shipments fell 25% year-on-year to 3.5 million units, ranking third.
- On contrary to all the aforementioned brands, Amazon’s shipments rose 6% reaching 3.3 million units. It took fourth place.
- Huawei’s tablet shipments fell 26% year-on-year, reaching 1.7 million units. It still remains in the top five.
Gizchina News of the week
Chromebooks and Overall PC Market
In the second quarter of 2022, Acer became the market-leading Chromebook vendor with over a quarter of the market. While shipments fell 28%, the decline was relatively smaller than that of major competitors. For instance, Lenovo’s shipments fell 56% year-over-year, but still ranked second. Due to its reliance on shipments in the US education sector, HP saw the biggest drop in sales among the top vendors. Its shipments dropped by 79%. Dell and Asus also appeared in the top five.
Lenovo leads the global PC market (including desktops, notebooks, and tablets) with 20.9 million global shipments and a 20% market share. Apple’s shipments fell 19% year over year to 16.6 million units, ranking second. HP’s shipments fell 27% to 13.6 million units, and it appeared in third place. Dell saw the smallest decline among the leading manufacturers, with shipments of 13.3 million units and a 1%-point increase in market share. It’s the fourth. In the second quarter of 2022, Samsung shipped 7.7 million units, ranking among the top five in the world.