The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is all set to be launched on the 9th of August. While reports have confirmed that the S Pen will be Bluetooth enabled, its features are have not yet been confirmed. But folks at XDA Developers managed to get their hands on a leaked firmware for the Galaxy Tab S4 which has detailed the features of the S-Pen. The leaked firmware on the TAB S4 is based on Android 8.1 Oreo and since the Galaxy Note 9 will also be running Android 8.1, the Tab S4 firmware can be referred for any references to the S-Pen.
The XDA user performed a teardown of the AirCommand app and found quite a lot of strings and images based around a wireless, remote S-Pen. The strings have also confirmed that the S-Pen will feature a battery. The summary of features as given by the XDA user is as follows:
- Control music with the S Pen. This will probably allow you to control music like you can with earbuds by pressing the play/pause button. The S Pen button will probably let you play and pause music while also allowing you to skip music tracks.
- Use the S Pen as a remote camera shutter. This could be useful in situations where you want to take a picture of yourself and prop up your phone.
- You will be able to remotely unlock your phone if the S Pen was removed from the phone and then the phone locks.
- You will be able to press the S Pen button to do more in a range of apps. We don’t know about what other integrations with apps the S Pen will have, though, as the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 hasn’t launched.
- Press and hold the Pen button to open any app or S Pen feature.
- Set up single and double press Pen actions.
(The above features have been directly referred from the source site without any changes.)
The Galaxy Note 9 is all set to be launched at the Galaxy unpacked event in New York on the 9th of August. We’ll know for certain what Samsung has in store then.