Q4 2018: Samsung & Apple still leads the smartphone market


Rate this post

New statistical report by market research firm, Counterpoint, shows that Samsung continues to rank first in the global smartphone market share in the fourth quarter of 2018, but their gap with Apple and Huawei is narrowing. Samsung’s smartphone market share in the global market accounted for 18% in the fourth quarter of last year, Apple accounted for 17%, Huawei accounted for 15%, OPPO accounted for 8%, Xiaomi and vivo accounted for 7%, and Lenovo accounted for 3%. Other brands accounted for 25%.

Counterpoint smartphone market

Looking at the market share details, the top ten smartphone manufacturers account for 78% of the global smartphone market share; the remaining 600 brands divided 22%. In terms of quantity, Samsung is leading the smartphone market however, Huawei and Google are the fastest growing brands in the fourth quarter.

Counterpoint stressed that if Huawei’s mobile phone continues to maintain rapid growth this year, then surpassing Apple to become the world’s second largest mobile phone maker will be within reach. It should also be noted that although iPhone shipments fell a lot last year, overall revenue increased by 6%, which is related to their high selling price, that is, the average iPhone price reached a record high of $789.

The report concluded that in the fourth quarter of 2018, global smartphone shipments fell by 7% annually to 394.5 million units. Despite the strong growth of emerging markets, it has not been able to compensate for the decline in shipments in developed markets. Under the general trend of global economic slowdown, shipments in all regions have declined. Positive growth has only been achieved in Central and Eastern Europe.

Read Also:  Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro leaked in live images with its 65W charger
Previous Meizu Note 9 pre-order price exposed at a Physical Store
Next LG X4 (2019) specs leaked in Google listing