The Moto G7 family is barely even a year old on the shelves, but that isn’t stopping the Lenovo owned brand from unleashing the next generation of the Moto G series smartphones. There were leaks that point to the Moto G8 Plus imminent arrival, and today, Motorola has unveiled the Moto G8 Plus months before we had expected it to.
The most notable upgrade comes in the form of a triple rear camera setup up from the Dual setup on the Moto G7. Much like a number of mid-range smartphones so far released in 2019, the Moto G8 Plus gets a 48-megapixel f/1.7 camera assisted by a 16MP ultra-wide snapper and a 5MP depth sensor.
A close look at the rear panel reveals a Quad camera-like setup. The other sensors actually include an LED flash, as well as a laser autofocus sensor. And upfront, the G8 Plus features a 25-megapixel selfie camera fitted into a small notch above the phone’s 6.3-inch 1080p display.
Notably, the 16MP ultra-wide camera is entirely meant for recording videos, and this you can do in landscape videos even while holding the device in portrait mode. Supported camera features include Night Vision mode, auto smile capture, portrait lighting, cinemagraphs, Spot Color/Color Pop, and cutout functionality.
Away from the cameras, the Moto G8 Plus comes embedded with a 4,000mAh battery with 15W fast charging. And in terms of hardware, it is powered by a Snapdragon 665 chipset, coupled with 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage, expandable up to 512GB via microSD card. It gets a rear fingerprint scanner with a water-repellent design, USB-C, a 3.5mm port, while it boots Android 9 Pie out of the box. It’s unclear if there are plans to push out Android 10 update to the device in the coming days.
Gizchina News of the week
Moto G8 Plus specifications
- 6.3-inch (1080×2280 pixs) Full HD+ LCD screen with 19:9 aspect ratio
- Octa Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM, 64GB (eMMC 5.1) storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 48MP quad pixel rear camera with LED flash, f/1.79 aperture,0. 8um pixel size, PDAF, 16MP 117-degree Ultra-wide Action camera with 2.0um Quad Pixel technology, f/2.2 aperture,5MP depth sensing camera, laser auto focus
- 25MP quad pixel front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio, dual microphones, FM Radio
- Splash resistant (IPX2)
- Dimensions: 158.4x 75.8×9.1 mm; Weight 188g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh battery with 15W Turbo Charging
Moto G8 Plus Pricing and availability
We are not sure when and at what price the device will sell in China. However, the device will go on sale in India at the end of October. And in the UK, sales start beginning from October 28. It is priced at Rs 13,999 (~$197) in India, and exclusive to Flipkart, while it costs £239 (~$307) in the UK. You can get the device from Amazon UK, Argos, John Lewis, Carphone Warehouse, and EE.
Moto G7 Play, and Moto G8
The Lenovo owned brand is at the moment silent about the G8, and G8 Play. Perhaps, those devices will drop at a much later date, and maybe for different regions. We will keep you posted.