Microsoft has announced the Xbox Series X specifications and has even shown us what this console will look like. However, two things that remain to be seen is the game lineup and the price of this console. At the official specs announcement, Microsoft made it clear that this console will be backward compatible with older games. Microsoft has made it clear that Xbox 360, Xbox One and even the original Xbox games can be played on Xbox Series X. This is quite interesting for Xbox fans. However, what is even more interesting is that playing the old Xbox One and Xbox 360 games on the Series X is more seamless and fun.
According to Jason Ronald, Director of Program Management for Team Xbox, playing old games on the Xbox Series X is as easy as plugging in an external hard drive. If you have an Xbox One game on your hard drive, all games on it will be available on Xbox Series X immediately after inserting the hard drive. Whether you have most Xbox games on an external hard drive, or if you want to start moving them to an external hard drive now, on the day the new console arrives, you can play them.
Note that you will not be able to use external hard drives to play games directly on the new console. You can store games on the HDD, but to actually play the games, you must move them to the Xbox Series X’s internal SSD.
FULL SPECIFICATIONS OF THE MICROSOFT XBOX SERIES X
- CPU: 8 cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz under Hyper-Threading)
- GPU: 12 TFLOPS, 52CU @ 1.825 GHz
- Die size: 360.45 mm 2
- CPU Build Process: 7nm enhanced version process
- Memory / video memory: 16GB GDDR6
- Bandwidth: 10GB @ 560GB / s, 6GB @ 336GB / s
- Storage: 1TB custom NVME SSD
- I / O throughput: 2.4 GB / s (Raw), 4.8 GB / s (compressed)
- Expandable storage: 1 TB expansion card
- External storage: USB 3.2 external hard disk support
- Optical Drive: 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive
- Performance target: 4K @ 60 frames / second, up to 120 frames / second
- Dimension: 15.1 cm x 15.1 cm x 30.1 cm
- Weight: 4.45kg/9.8lbs
- Total Volume: 6.86 litres
- Ports: HDMI 2.1 output, 3x USB 3.2, networking port, expandable storage slot, power input