Earlier this year, LG announced a major overhaul on its smartphone business that would be marked by the end of LG G-series in favor of a new smartphone lineup. After many teasers, the company finally unveiled the LG Velvet in South Korea earlier this month. Now, the device is finally making way to the old continent as it is listed on the Italian LG website. Of course, pricing and availability will surface in the coming days. If we convert the South-Korean price, then it’s $735 or €670.
The new LG Velvet features a new design language that will represent the company’s identity for now. According to LG, the new design language is inspired by nature. Under the hood, the phone carries the 5G-ready Snapdragon 765G chipset with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of Storage. These specifications are built around a massive 6.8-inch OLED display with a waterdrop notch serving as a house for the selfie snapper. Moreover, this display offers FHD+ resolution.
Moving around to the back, we have a triple-camera array featuring a raindrop design. It’s a 48MP main shooter sitting alongside an 8MP ultrawide snapper and 5MP depth helper. The handset draws power from a 4,300mAh battery with 25W fast-charging and 9W wireless charging. Other features include IP68 certification and MIL-STD-810G compliance. Other features include Stereo Speakers and support for Dual-Screen and Stylus accessories.
While this is a decent smartphone and all, we believe that LG is once again losing a big opportunity here. The device is really expensive for what it offers. There are better offerings coming from China right now, so we don’t think that the LG Velvet will be enough to regain the company’s degrading popularity in the smartphone segment. Let’s wait for an official confirmation of the handset’s price in Europe.
LG VELVET SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.8-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 20.5: 9 aspect ratio OLED display
- Octa-Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB UFS 2.1 storage, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10
- Dual SIM
- 48MP rear camera with LED flash, 8MP ultra-wide lens, 5MP depth sensor
- 16MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, stereo speakers
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4300mAh battery with fast charging, 10w wireless charging