DxOMark laboratory has tested the ability to record and play audio in the Huawei P40 Pro flagship smartphone. And it seems that the lack of stereo speakers spoils everything, but as a voice recorder, the smartphone is good.
DxOMark: Huawei P40 Pro audio performance is not as good as expected
Note that Huawei P40 Pro, which debuted in March, still ranks first in the DxOMark ranking in terms of camera quality with both the main and front cameras. Huawei failed to repeat this success in terms of sound quality.
DxOMark experts rated the overall sound quality of the Huawei P40 Pro at 59 points. It is outperformed by almost two dozen models, including the new iPhone SE.
For sound reproduction, the smartphone received only 54 points. Such a low score was obtained due to the lack of stereo speakers, which limits the possibilities in the tests.
At the same time, the audio recording is rated at 74 points, which puts the smartphone at the top of the ranking for this parameter, along with the Honor V30 Pro.
- Good timbre performance for a mono speaker device
- Well-controlled artifacts
- Spatial performance
- Limited performance in dynamics
- Single speaker is easy to occlude
- Overall good performance in all use cases
- Good timbre performance
- Excellent dynamics
- Imprecise background rendering
- Narrow wideness in selfie videos
Huawei P40 Pro specifications
- 6.58-inch (2640 x 1200 pixels) Flex OLED display with 90Hz refresh rate, DCI-P3 HDR
- HUAWEI Kirin 990 5G (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76MP16 GPU, Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs(Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM with 256GB / 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 10.1
- Dual SIM (nano SIM + eSIM)
- P40 Pro – 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 40MP ultra-wide cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 12MP RYYB periscope camera with f/3.4 aperture, OIS, 5x optical zoom, 10x hybrid zoom and 50x digital zoom, ToF camera for depth sensing, dual-tone LED flash, 4k video recording at 60fps, ISO 51200 and 7680fps Ultra Slow-Motion video capture
- 32MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, IR Depth / Gesture Camera for pro bokeh, Face unlock, 4k video recording
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Water, dust resistant (IP68)
- P40 Pro Dimensions: 158.2×72.6×8.95mm; Weight: 209g
- USB Type-C Audio
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4200mAh (typical) battery with 40W SuperCharge, 27W / 40W Wireless HUAWEI SuperCharge