Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 is a rather long-awaited device, since this is the second generation of the first foldable smartphone in the world. And although the announcement of the new product itself, as expected, should take place in August of this year, the device’s release may be delayed due to a lack of some materials and the incompleteness of its software.
So, judging by this news, the company will not act as usual – first it will prepare the first batch of devices, after which it will announce the smartphone. Instead, the company will almost simultaneously launch the Galaxy Fold 2 announcement and launch the production of the device. This way, the smartphone launch will be delayed to September.
Galaxy Fold 2 will not be released immediately after the announcement
This is due to two factors: firstly, the company still has not been able to bring together the software component of the new smartphone, and secondly, Samsung is faced with a shortage of ultrathin protective glasses (UTG). Recall that for the first time this type of glass debuted in the Galaxy Z Flip. Moreover, according to statements by sources in the supply chain, the deficit will remain until the beginning of 2021.
Production really not starting till August. Almost none in July. Gonna be a late August or September launch. UTG volumes constrained until 2021, so order either early.
— Ross Young (@DSCCRoss) June 16, 2020
In a recent leak for the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2, it was said that the S Pen will not come, because an Ultra Thin Glass (UTG), which is used on the phone’s screen has been declared that it does not currently allow the use of S Pen. Now the issue of battery capacity is clear. Officially to be launched with the Galaxy Note 20s on August 5, the device is based on a 4.365 mAh battery, consisting of two parts. Samsung puts batteries behind both sections due to the foldable structure.
What else do we know about the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2? According to previously leaked information, there is a 6,23 inch 2267 × 819 pixels 60 Hz OLED screen outside the phone. The folding screen in the model is a 7.59 -inch 2213 x 1689 pixel OLED panel 120 Hz.
On the camera side, there will be a 12-megapixel + 16-megapixel + 64-megapixel camera setup on the back of the phone. In this camera system OIS will also be available.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the first Galaxy Fold:
Samsung Galaxy Fold specifications:
- 7.3-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 4.2:3 aspect ratio main display, 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED 21:9 aspect ratio cover display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform (Max. 2.84 GHz + 2.41 GHz + 1.78 GHz) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage (UFS 3.0)
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, OIS, 12MP Telephoto lens with 45° FoV, f/2.4 aperture, 16MP 123° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture with 0.5X/2X optical zoom, up to 10X digital zoom
- 10MP Dual Pixel front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens, f/1.9 aperture, secondary 8MP depth sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 90° FoV
- 10MP cover camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 4×4 MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 4380mAh (typical) / 4275mAh (minimum) battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging