Xiaomi’s budget line of Redmi-numbered phones has lost some space over the past years. The truth is that customers nowadays are much more interested in the Note lineup than the regular Redmi phones. This forced Xiaomi to decrease even more the level of specifications on these devices to the point that it almost became pointless. Let me clarify. Last year, the company announced the Redmi 8A with the Snapdragon 439. The A-phones are the most affordable devices offered by the company offering solid, but modest specs for a low price. The Redmi 8, should, in theory, offer more than the Redmi 8A, however, it came with the very same chipset and battery. The only differences were the presence of a fingerprint scanner and better cameras on the upper model. This year, however, Xiaomi brought the Redmi phone to the place it deserves. The Redmi 9 came with solid specifications and a very affordable price tag.
Xiaomi’s Redmi 9 still needs to reach the domestic market
The mid-range smartphone was released in Spain and Malaysia, but customers on the company’s domestic market are still waiting for the budget device. This waiting is about to end! The Official Redmi Mobile Weibo account made a post today that said there will be an announcement tomorrow morning. The event seems to be related to the Redmi 9 as the post includes a poster that shows a device that is most likely the Redmi 9 in Purple Green.
There are two possibilities for tomorrow. In the first case, Xiaomi will reveal the Redmi 9 in all its glory for Chinese customers. The second possibility is that the company will only reveal the phone’s launch date. Thankfully, we don’t have to wait much longer to discover which one is the real deal. Redmi’s announcement is scheduled for 10 AM Chinese time.
The Redmi 9 boasts a 6.53-inch FHD+ display with a waterdrop notch at the top for the 8MP selfie shooter. Under the hood, the phone boasts MediaTek’s Helio G80 SoC which is paired with 4GB or 6GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB of Internal Storage in China. Worth noting that the latter variant will be exclusive to the Chinese market. In the west, the company is offering only 3GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB combos.
The rear camera department is quite simple with a Quad-Camera array being led by a 13MP shooter. Other features include a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner and a 5,000mAh battery that offers support for 18W fast-charging.
Redmi 9 overall specifications
- Display: 6.53-inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio, Gorilla Glass 3 protection, waterdrop notch
- Processor and Graphics: MediaTek Helio G80 SoC, Mali-G52 GPU
- RAM & ROM: up to 4GB RAM, up to 64GB onboard memory (Spain Variant)
- Rear cameras: quad module, 13MP primary sensor, 8MP ultrawide, 5MP macro lens, 2MP depth unit
- Selfie camera: single module, 8MP sensor
- Battery: 5,020 mAh capacity, Quick Charge 3.0 support (10W charger bundled)
- Software: Android 10, MIUI 11 skin on top
- Biometrics: rear-mounted physical fingerprint sensor, face recognition
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC and USB Type-C port
- Weight: 198g
- Dimensions: 163.32 × 77.01 × 9.1 mm