Xiaomi has one of the world’s most popular custom Android skins in the form of MIUI. The company usually keeps good software support for most of its recent smartphones when it comes to the MIUI version. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the underlying Android version. Despite this, the Chinese maker seems to be adjusting its research & development team to ensure faster Android updates. While the Android One program struggles, we can say that several Xiaomi smartphones have already received Android 10 updates, even those who were not the hottest ones available, like the Redmi 7A. Now, the company is giving an important step to ensure a smooth transition to Android 11 with its most recent flagship, the Mi 10.
Back in the last month, Xiaomi announced that Android 11 Beta 1 will be available for the Xiaomi Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro. Now, several reports indicate that the Chinese giant has started pushing the firmware update that brings Android 11 in the form of an MIUI 12 beta development version to Mi 10 units in China. This is a big surprise, after all, no one would expect the company to roll out Android 11 complete with an MIUI skin running a top. MIUI 12 even is a sweeter surprise for Mi 10 owners. After all, the company is yet to comments on the rollout of official MIUI 12.
The first step for Android 11 on Xiaomi devices
The new update means that Mi 10 owners can expect the MIUI 12 update along with some of the Android 11 goodies. However, this beta build is plagued with a consistent amount of bugs and it’s not meant for daily usage. According to the first reports, the update comes with issues like not allowing the user to adjust the volume on some third-party video apps. However, there is a temporary fix. Users can set the media volume control to allow in use or always allow in permission management. The issue should not be present in the subsequent Android 11 betas.
While this update is only meant for the Mi 10, we believe that a build for the Mi 10 Pro will eventually appear. Both devices are the company’s 2020 flagships. Therefore, it will not be a surprise to see them as the first Xiaomi smartphones running Android 11.
XIAOMI MI 10 SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.67-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 19.5:9 aspect ratio HDR10 + display with 90Hz refresh rate. 1120nit (HBM) / 800nit (Typ) brightness, 5000000:1 (Min) contrast ratio. DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.84GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB / 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.0 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 11 based on Android 10
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.69 aperture, OIS, 8P lens LED flash. 13MP 123° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.4 aperture. 2MP depth sensor and 2MP macro lens with f/2.4 aperture.
- 20MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, 1216 1.0cc speaker
- Dimensions: 162.6×74.8×8.96mm; Weight: 208g
- 4780mAh (Typical) / 4680mAh (Minimum) battery with 30W QC 4+ / PD3.0 wired and wireless fast charging, 10w wireless reverse charging