Chinese manufacturing giant, Xiaomi, is known for its attractive prices especially in the Chinese market. Generally, its smartphones come with a high price-to-performance ratio. This is one of the most attractive parts of Xiaomi’s business. However, there are reports that the company has increased the price of the Redmi Note 8 in the Asian market again. This is the sixth time this year that there will be an increase in price for this device.
Last time, the retail price of Redmi Note 8 in the Asian market (mostly India) increased by Rs. 500 ($7). At the time, the final retail price hit Rs. 12,499 ($167). Now, the price of the device has increased by 500 rupees ($7) again, bringing the price of the device to 12,999 rupees ($173). This makes the price of the device 30% higher than the price of Rs 9,999 ($133) when it was launched.
Amazon Asia currently sells the device at a price of Rs 12,799 ($171), but this seems to be after a discount of Rs 200 ($3). On the Croma platform, the price of the device is Rs 12,999 ($173). Some people complained about Xiaomi’s price increase strategy. It appears that the company is offering very attractive prices at launch. However, it continues to increase the price as the device gains market acceptability.
The Redmi Note 8 is a 2019 smartphone from Xiaomi. This device is no doing badly and it is one of the earliest Xioami phones to come with the quad-rear camera setup. Despite the price increase, this smartphone is still pretty affordable.
Redmi Note 8 specifications
- 6.39-inch (2340 ×1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass LCD screen, 450 nit brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 665 11nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 610 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (eMMC 5.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (eMMC 5.1) storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 48MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.79 aperture, Samsung ISOCELL GM1 sensor, PDAF, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 13MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 158.3 x 75.3×8.35mm; Weight: 190g
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Smart PA, FM Radio
- Splash proof (P2i nano coating)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/ GLONASS/ Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with 18W fast charging