Many have already stopped following Sony’s mobile business news. However, Sony itself believes in a renaissance and is heading towards cost optimization and trying to build a new team.
During its last report on the results of the second quarter of this year, the company announced the delivery of 800 thousand Xperia smartphones. This is 100 thousand less than a year earlier, but twice as much as in the first quarter of 2020. Given the market crisis and falling demand amid the coronavirus pandemic, Sony’s result can be considered a success.
Xperia smartphones will bring Sony a profit for the first time in 4 years
Encouraged by what is happening, the company said that the company’s mobile business will bring profit for the first time in four years based on the results of operations from April 2020 to March 2021. Of the interesting things, it is worth noting that the company associates its short-term future with budget and mid-range smartphones.
According to it, now the market is drifting towards affordable devices, while the demand for flagships is falling. True, Sony considers this to be a temporary phenomenon and believes that its top-end devices will still become more popular in the future.
Sony notes that the smartphone industry is gradually shifting towards the mid-range and budget segments. Sony believes this transition is temporary and that its flagship models will eventually become popular again. But for now, the company plans to focus on more affordable smartphones in 2020 and 2021.
It is worth to mention that earlier in February, the company has officially announced its flagship Xperia 1 II smartphone, and here is a reminder of its specifications:
Sony Xperia 1 II specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644 x 3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, X1 for mobile, Motion Blur Reduction, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 256GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 10
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.55″ 135° ultra-wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 34° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 3x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion, 3D iToF sensor
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speaker, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 166 × 72 × 7.9mm; Weight: 181g
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 5G (sub-6GHz (optional)) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 4000mAh Battery with 21W USB-PD fast charging, Qi Wireless charging