Earlier this month, Samsung unveiled a new set of 2020 flagships in the form of the Galaxy Note 20, Note 20 Ultra, and even the Galaxy Z Fold 2. The Samsung Galaxy Note 20, however, is by far the less appealing flagship to ever come from the Note series. The main downside is that this flagship lacks a high-refresh-rate screen. Moreover, it features a plastic back although the price is quite premium. Now, a new video emerged from teardown experts PBKreviews and brings us a look into the internals of the cheaper Note 20 smartphone. The first thing that we should be aware of is that this will be a hard-to-repair smartphone.
After a session of heat and pry tool appliance, you can remove the back cover of the phone. It reveals one of the secondary microphones sitting next to the camera cutouts. The teardown reveals the OIS mechanism on the 12MP wide and 64MP telephoto units. The 12MP module clearly lacks the necessary hardware. The teardown also reveals the wireless charging pad, earpiece, and the 4,300mAh battery. The S-Pen stylus sits right next to the battery.
Gizchina News of the week
After removing the bottom speaker the next step is the selfie cam and duo of connection cables attached to the motherboard. The video reveals that removing the battery of the phone may be a problematic task. The build lacks pull tabs so the only way to remove it is by trying to heat up the adhesive from the side or use some rubbing alcohol. It needs some caution, after all, is a sensitive and dangerous component. Another interesting detail is that once you remove the battery you’ll be able to see the fingerprint reader. However, it’s not independently replaceable. After all, it is part of the display. The panel can be removed once you remove all the internals and apply some heat. The teardown video, once again, reveals that Samsung has pretty much made another device that is hard to repair.
SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 20 SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.7-inch Full HD+ (2400×1080 pixels) Super AMOLED Plus Infinity-O Display, HDR10+, 393 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 10 with OneUI
- Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 64MP Telephoto lens with f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 3x Hybrid Optic Zoom, Super-Resolution Zoom up to 30X, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 10MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 161.6 x 75.2 x 8.3mm; Weight: 192(LTE/Sub6), 194g (mmWave)
- Bluetooth enabled S Pen with Pressure levels: 4096, Pen tip diameter: 0.7 mm, IP68
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4300mAh (typical) battery with 25W fast charging, wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare.