HMD Global officially released the Nokia 8.3 5G on March 20 this year. This smartphone hit the market globally on September 22. However, when you insert dual cards, this device only supports 4G/3G/2G network. Now, a recent report from NokiaPowerUser claims that this smartphone will get the dual card 5G support update in the future. Presently, if you insert two SIMs on this phone, it provides 5G / 4G / 3G / 2G support for SIM 1. However, for SIM 2, it offers only 4G / 3G / 2G support.
Why is Nokia suddenly talking about this now? Well, I believe you know about the “5G restrictions” for the iPhone 12 (US version). The iPhone 12 does not support the 5G network in a dual-SIM state. Also, information from Verizon shows that eSIM customers must remove the physical SIM card from the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro to access its 5G network.
For many potential buyers, this is not really acceptable and there has been a lot of uproars. To this end, many OEMs with such restrictions are trying to reassure consumers. Some operators have already announced that a firmware update will unlock network restrictions in the future.
Gizchina News of the week
As of now, there are reports that Nokia already has the dual card 5G support update for Nokia 8.3 5G. However, due to various reasons in the US, Nokia’s customer service says it “will support it in the future”.
Nokia 8.3 5G specifications
The Nokia 8.3 5G is Nokia’s first model to support 5G networks. It comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G chip as well as 6GB/8GBGB of RAM and 64GB/128GB of internal storage. This smartphone uses a 6.81-inch FHD resolution LCD screen and has a PureView rear four-camera design certified by Zeiss optics. They are 64 MP (f/1.9) + 12 MP (f/2.2) ultra wide-angle + 2 MP zoom + 2 MP depth of field lens. On the front, there is a 24 MP (f/2.0) lens. This smartphone retains the 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a 4500 mAh battery that supports an 18W fast charge.
- 6.81-inch (1080 × 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 20:9 LCD screen with 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM with 64GB storage, 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB storage, expandable memory with miroSD
- Android 10
- Single / Dual SIM
- 64MP rear camera with Dual LED flash, ZEISS Optics, 12MP ultra-wide-angle lens, 2MP macro and 2MP depth sensor
- 24MP front-facing camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, FM radio receiver, OZO audio
- Dimensions: 171.90 x 78.56 x 8.99mm; Weight: 220g
- 5G SA/ NSA / Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 18W fast charging