Apple recently released the iPhone 12 series which supports wireless charging. However, the American manufacturing giant will once again rely on MagSafe for its wireless charging solution. According to the latest iPhone 12 evaluation by Joanna & Stern of The Wall Street Journal, the charging speed of Apple’s MagSafe wireless charging is twice as long as the 20W USB-C charger. As shown in the figure below, the iPhone 12 can be charged to 50% in 28 minutes with a 20W USB-C charger. However, it takes 1 hour to use the original MagSafe wireless charger to get to 50%.
The reviewer believes that Apple’s MagSafe technology seems to be better in theory than it actually is. It is worth mentioning that, even if it takes an hour, MagSafe charging speed is faster than the traditional 7.5W Qi wireless charger.
The 20W USB-C power adapter in the Apple Store is currently priced at 149 yuan ($22). In addition, the data cable that supports MFI certification can be purchased on demand. The USB-C to Lightning cable at the Apple Store is priced from 145 yuan ($22) to 272 yuan ($41). If the power adapter and data cable are available, you need at least 294 yuan ($44) to buy official accessories. Alternatively, you can choose third-party accessories, they would be cheaper. The Anker Wireless charger actually takes 1 hour 30 minutes to get to 50% for the iPhone 12.
Gizchina News of the week
Apple iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 12 specifications
- iPhone 12 mini -5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 12 – 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Dolby Vision, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- iPhone12 mini dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm; Weight: 133grams
- iPhone12 dimensions: 146.7×71.5×7.4mm; Weight: 162grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours (iPhone12 mini) / 17 hours (iPhone12) of video playback