One of the downsides of 5G connectivity is its battery consumption. The iPhone 12 series is Apple’s first-ever 5G smartphones thus we have been waiting to see how it will handle the battery drain that comes with 5G. We know that Apple does not reveal the battery capacity of its devices. The company only shows its performance. However, a recent document from ANATEL, a Brazilian telecommunications agency, shows that the iPhone 12 comes with a 2815 mAh battery. In the Android camp, this battery capacity is far from average.
According to reports, after activating the 5G network on the iPhone 12, the battery performance drops sharply. The test result shows that without 5G, the battery lasts for 10 hours 23 minutes. However, with active 5G, the battery performance drops to 8 hours 25 minutes.
Apple’s official response to this
Kaiann Drance, Apple’s vice president of iPhone marketing, said at a media event that the company has made various software optimizations to ensure battery life, such as smart data functions, which only switch to 5G when the throughput is high, and usually limit it to 4G LTE to ensure battery life. The company also claims that it will collaborate with operators to do more optimization work.
Gizchina News of the week
However, the drop in battery performance after activating 5G is not limited to the iPhone 12 series. Other smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S20 and OnePlus 8T also showed a significant drop. Other features like a high refresh rate also significantly affect battery life.
Apple iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 12 specifications
- iPhone 12 mini -5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 12 – 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Dolby Vision, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- iPhone12 mini dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm; Weight: 133grams
- iPhone12 dimensions: 146.7×71.5×7.4mm; Weight: 162grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours (iPhone12 mini) / 17 hours (iPhone12) of video playback