DxOMark has recently been evaluating the quality of smartphone displays. This week, they published a review of the screen of the Huawei P40 Pro smartphone, which, according to the DxOMark rating, is the best camera phone of our time.
The Huawei P40 Pro screen scored a total of 85 points, which allowed it to take fourth place, ahead of the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max (84) and behind the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G (89), OnePlus 8 Pro (88) and Apple iPhone 12 Pro (87). However, in some specs, the display of the Huawei P40 Pro turned out to be better than that of the leaders.
DxOMark stated that readability was largely hindered by the Huawei P40 Pro’s display getting the maximum rating. The screen was not very bright both indoors and outdoors. It got 66 points, while the iPhone 12 Pro got 72 points.
However, the flagship from the Chinese tech giant has been praised for its color performance. In this test, it received 83 points against 75 points for the Apple iPhone 12 Pro. In addition, the display of the Huawei P40 Pro was very smooth, the content in motion looks just fine: 87 points against 81 for the iPhone 12 Pro.
The smartphone has excellent motion blur control and video playback instantly. For the responsiveness of touch controls, the smartphone received 67 points against 61 points for the iPhone 12 Pro. At the same time, the screen shows more artifacts, especially in games.
- Color rendering is pleasant and accurate in still images.
- Motion rendering is excellent, in particular frame drop performance and control of motion blur.
- Luminance level is adapted to night reading (except when BLF is on).
- Brightness levels are low indoors and outdoors, except in low-light conditions.
- Video performance is disappointing, especially brightness level and gamma management.
- Touch accuracy is low on the sides and especially in the bottom corners.
- Aliasing is noticeable when gaming.
Gizchina News of the week
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the Huawei P40 Pro and P40 Pro+ smartphones:
HUAWEI P40 Pro and P40 Pro+ specifications
- 6.58-inch (2640 x 1200 pixels) Flex OLED display with 90Hz refresh rate, DCI-P3 HDR
- HUAWEI Kirin 990 5G (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76MP16 GPU, Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs(Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM with 256GB / 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 10.1
- Dual SIM (nano SIM + eSIM)
- P40 Pro – 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 40MP ultra-wide cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 12MP RYYB periscope camera with f/3.4 aperture, OIS, 5x optical zoom, 10x hybrid zoom and 50x digital zoom, ToF camera for depth sensing, dual-tone LED flash, 4k video recording at 60fps, ISO 51200 and 7680fps Ultra Slow-Motion video capture
- P40 Pro+ – 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 40MP ultra-wide cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 8MP periscope camera with f/4.4 aperture, OIS, 10x optical zoom, 8MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture, OIS, 3x optical zoom, ToF camera for depth sensing, 20x Hybrid Zoom, 100x Max Zoom, dual-tone LED flash, 4k video recording at 60fps, ISO 51200 and 7680fps Ultra Slow-Motion video capture
- 32MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, IR Depth / Gesture Camera for pro bokeh, Face unlock, 4k video recording
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Water, dust resistant (IP68)
- P40 Pro Dimensions: 158.2×72.6×8.95mm; Weight: 209g
- P40 Pro+ Dimensions: 158.2×72.6x9mm; Weight: 226g
- USB Type-C Audio
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4200mAh (typical) battery with 40W SuperCharge, 27W / 40W (Pro+) Wireless HUAWEI SuperCharge