A few days ago, Samsung released the February update for the Galaxy S21 series this month. However, there were reports from many users that after the update, there was a significant battery drain. Nevertheless, this issue seems to only affect the Exynos 2100 version of the Galaxy S21 and S21+. Yesterday, Samsung released another system update which appears to fix this issue.
The update log does not specifically state that it fixes a bug that causes battery drain. However, it just says that it improves device stability and fixes bugs. In addition, the update also states that it provides new features or upgrades to improve camera performance. Of course, the update comes with an overall performance improvement. Samsung’s codename for this update is G998BXXU1AUB6 and the update size is 257.34MB. The Chinese and American versions of the Galaxy S21 series comes with the Snapdragon 888 SoC. Thus, this battery drain issue does not affect them.
Gizchina News of the week
According to reports, after updating, there is a significant increase in power consumption. However, the issue does not seem to be active when the phone is on airplane mode. As of now, only users of the Samsung Galaxy S21 and Samsung Galaxy S21+ seems to have this issue. It is also uncertain whether the flagship model Galaxy S21 Ultra has the same issue.
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G and Galaxy S21+ 5G specifications
- S21 — 6.2-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED Display, 421 PPI, Adaptive 120Hz refresh rate (48 – 120Hz), up to 1300 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- S21+ — 6.7-inch FHD+ (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED Display, 394 PPI, Adaptive 120Hz refresh rate (48 – 120Hz), up to 1300 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 2100 processor
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB/256GB storage
- Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- Single / Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 12MP Ultra Wide sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 64MP Telephoto lens with f/2.0 aperture, 3x hybrid zoom, 30X space zoom, OIS, 4K 60 fps, 8K 30fps
- 10MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water resistant (IP68)
- S21 Dimensions: 151.7 x 71.2 x 7.9mm; Weight: 171g (mmWave), 169g (sub6)
- S21+ Dimensions: 161.4 x 75.6 x 7.8mm; Weight: 202g(mmWave), 200g(sub6)
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, UWB (S21+), GPS + GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 4000mAh (S21) / 4800mAh (S21+) battery with 25W fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging