At some point during the heat of the pandemic, Apple had to close all its physical stores in the U.S. As activities begin to return to normal gradually, Apple Stores around the globe are now reopening. Apple Pioneer Plaza in Portland, Oregon will reopen at 11:00 am this Monday (February 22). This will be the first time that the Apple store will open to customers in 267 days.
Through most part of last year, Apple Store in many parts of the U.S. was not consistent with their activities. However, the Apple Store in Portland has been consistent with its closure. Since the COVID-19 spread through most parts of the U.S., Apple Store Portland has been open for a total of 3 days. This is less than any other location.
A series of unfortunate events and coincidences have kept this Apple Store closed for most of the time since the beginning of last year. Even when other retailers are struggling, Apple has invested a lot of resources in flagship stores in the past few years. This shows that the company still wants to stay in downtown Portland. Although not open to customers, the store has been constantly updated and used for behind-the-scenes operations.
Recently, Apple is carrying out extensive repairs on the exterior wall. The damage on the way is severe and needs attention before reopening. Due to the damage, Apple needs to completely rebuild a considerable portion of its expensive storefronts. Other Apple Stores in Oregon have reopened and users can shop in the store. However, they need to make an appointment for “expert shopping” before visiting. COVID-19 safety precautions in all locations are still effective.
Apple Store Portland has been shut since March 2019
According to 9to5mac, here are a series of events that have occurred at Apple’s Pioneer Place
- March 24, 2019: Apple Pioneer Place temporarily closes for a major renovation project.
- May 31, 2019: The store reopens with a new design that includes indoor trees, a Forum, and Video Wall.
- March 14, 2020: All Apple Stores outside of Greater China close due to COVID-19.
- May 27, 2020: Apple Pioneer Place reopens for Storefront service and sales.
- May-29, 2020: The store is looted and heavily vandalized during a night of violence in Portland.
- May 30, 2020: One day before the store’s renovation anniversary, it sits closed and destroyed.
- June 1, 2020: A community mural recognizing the death of George Floyd is painted on a temporary wall around the store.
- December 23, 2020: Apple promises to donate the mural, which became an icon in downtown Portland.
- January 22, 2021: Don’t Shoot PDX accepts the mural, and panels are later removed for preservation.
- January 27, 2021: Restoration of Apple’s storefront begins.
- February 22, 2021: Apple Pioneer Place reopens for the first time in 267 days.