Huawei’s HarmonyOS is a distributed operating system that is designed for the Internet of Things (IoT) era. The Chinese manufacturer first announced the developers beta on December 16, 2020. The company commenced the open beta recruitment activity on the same day. Since then, the company has been working on the development of its new system. The latest information shows that the HarmonyOS beta is already available. Huawei smartphones like Huawei Mate X2, Mate 40 series, and other models already have this update. However, this update is the HarmonyOS 2.0 developers beta. The system seamlessly connects with the EMUI 11 system.
Today, popular Weibo leakster, @DCS revealed that Huawei’s next smartphones will pre-install the HarmonyOS. In addition, he also claims that Honor’s new smartphones will run on MagicUI 5.0 on top of the Android 11 system. Some Honor models have been testing HarmonyOS internally. However, it appears that the compatibility is not so good.
From speculations so far, the first model to pre-install the HarmonyOS will be Huawei Mate 40 Pro 4G. This smartphone recently got TENAA’s and 3C certification. The certification on TENAA shows that this smartphone will come with the “Harmony OS” system.
Gizchina News of the week
As of now, a long list of Huawei smartphones is getting HarmonyOS OTA upgrades. The current list of system versions that support OTA upgrades includes Mate X2, Mate40, Mate40E, Mate 40 Pro, Mate 40 Pro+, Mate 40 RS Porsche Design, Huawei Smart Screen S, Huawei Smart Screen S Pro, P40, P40 Pro, P40 Pro+, Mate 30 4G, Mate 30 Pro 4G, Mate 30 5G, Mate 30 Pro 5G, Mate 30 RS Porsche Design, Mate 30E Pro 5G, MatePad Pro, as well as MatePad Pro 5G. Furthermore, there will be more models from subsequent announcements from Huawei.
HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro specifications
- 6.76-inch (2772 x 1344 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display,90 Hz refresh rate
- HUAWEI Kirin 9000 5G (1 x Cortex-A77 3.13 GHz + 3 x Cortex-A77 2.54 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 2.05 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G78 MP24 GPU,Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM, 256GB storage (Mate 40 Pro) / 12GB RAM, 256GB storage (Mate 40 Pro+)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 20MP ultra-wide Cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 12MP telephoto camera with 5x optical zoom, OIS, Laser sensor, LED flash
- 13MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture, 3D Depth Sensing ToF Camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers
- Water-resistant (IP68)
- Dimensions:162.9×74.5×9.1mm(Glass) / 9.5mm (Leather); Weight: 212g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual-band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4300mAh (typical) battery with 66W HUAWEI SuperCharge, 50W Wireless HUAWEI SuperCharge