Launched in the fall of 2018, the iPhone XR outperformed the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12, released in September 2019 and October 2020, respectively. A video recording of comparative tests of three Apple smartphones was published on the YouTube channel of Nick Ackerman.
Before testing, the YouTuber updated the operating system on all three devices to iOS 14.5.1, which was launched not so long ago. The tests compared the loading times of smartphones, the speed of opening applications, video rendering, as well as the results in the Geekbench and 3DMark tests.
As a result, it turned out that in synthetic tests, the iPhone XR outperforms the more modern iPhone 11 and iPhone 12, which looks rather strange. When tested in multi-core mode in Geekbench, the iPhone XR confidently bypassed its rivals. A similar picture was observed when testing in 3DMark, and here the iPhone 11 is significantly inferior to the older smartphone.
iPhone XR has a better performance than the iPhone 12 after iOS 14.5.1
The source suggests that this behavior can be due to various reasons. Most likely, the matter is in the iOS 14.5.1 update, which for some reason slows down the work of new iPhone models. The performance degradation could also be affected by the new power management algorithm, although the reported performance degradation appears to be quite dramatic. There may be a problem with optimizing benchmark applications, but this option is actually unlikely.
With a high degree of confidence, we can assume that a significant decrease in performance will attract Apple’s attention and the developers will soon release a fix for iOS 14.5.2.
Apple along with the iPhone XS series, also introduced the iPhone XR in 2018, a cheaper version with a 6.1-inch LCD 326ppi Liquid Retina display. It comes in white, black, blue, yellow, coral and red colors. Here is a reminder of the specifications of the iPhone XR smartphone.
Apple iPhone XR specifications
- 6.1-inch (1792 x 828 pixels) LCD 326ppi Liquid Retina display
- Six-core A12 Bionic 64-bit 7nm processor with four-core GPU, Neural Engine
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 12
- Water and dust resistant (IP67)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM / physical SIM in China)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.8) camera,optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps
- 7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording,Retina Flash
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 150.9×75.7×8.3; Weight: 194 grams
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with Qi wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours of internet use