Today, Lei Jun, founder, and CEO of Xiaomi Group had a big smile while talking about one of its smartphones. According to him, one of Xiaomi’s four-year-old (2017 launch) smartphones is making the company proud. This device is the Xiaomi Mi 6. Lei Jun revealed that after four years, this smartphone still has 2.15 million users. This is quite impressive for an old Chinese smartphone.
Lei Jun asked netizens: “What do you like about Mi 6?” Small size? Snapdragon 835? 12MP camera? or Sleek Design?
The Xiaomi Mi 6 is a 2017 flagship smartphone and it is the last flagship with a small screen. This smartphone comes with a Snapdragon 8 series chip, specifically Snapdragon 835 SoC. At the time, this processor was the flagship for all smartphones just like the SD888 presently. It comes with a 5.15-inch display with a resolution of 1920×1080. In the camera department, this device uses a 12MP AI dual camera and the battery is only 3350 mAh. It is important to note that the camera and batter were just sufficient at the time. Just within four years, flagship batteries are now 5000 mAh while the camera is up to 108MP. This shows how fast the smartphone industry has developed over the past few years.
This is the last non-full-screen model of the Xiaomi digital series. Xiaomi did not release a Xiaomi Mi 7 thus after the Mi 6, we had the Mi 8 in 2018. The Xiaomi Mi 8, uses a notch, opening the era of the full-screen for the Xiaomi digital series.
The Xiaomi Mi 6 has been highly sought after by Mi Fans since it went on the market. However, it is surprising to see that after four years, the Mi 6 still has so many active units. This group of long-time Mi 6 users is called “Xiaomi Mi 6 nail households”.
Last year, users of this smartphone got a special discount that allows them to replace the battery for only 49 yuan ($8). As a reminder, here is the full specs sheet of the Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Mi 6 specifications
- 5.15-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD display with 600 nits brightness, 94.4% NTSC color gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio
- 2.45GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 64-bit 10nm processor with Adreno 540 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB (UFS) internal storage
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with MIUI 8
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- Splash resistant
- 12MP rear camera with 1.25μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP camera with 1.0 μm pixel size, 52mm portrait lens, f/2.6 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 145.17x 70.49×7.45 mm; Weight: 168g / 182g (ceramic)
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3350mAh (typical) / 3250mAh (minimum) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, 18W fast charging